Wednesday 22nd November 2017

It’s getting to be jeans season again

I’ve been out in Sag Harbor for the past couple of weeks, taking it easy, doing yoga every day, going to my favorite tomato stand, and enjoying the waning days of summer. As I type this it’s pretty hot out, but in the evenings and mornings there’s a slight chill in the air, and it’s making me think of how long pants weather is not so terribly far away. Right now I’m thinking about jeans with very clean washes—with minimal whiskering or fading—so that’s mostly what I’m showing here. This Madewell pair looks especially good: just a tiny bit of whiskering at the top, and a nice, deep blue wash.

An excellent cropped boy straight cut from the spendy-but-perfect brand R13.

I absolutely love the wash on this pair.

These are nice and clean too, and well-priced.

A nice, dark slouchy pair.

These look perfectly broken-in from the get-go.

A nicely faded, high-waisted pair from Levi’s.

Everyone needs at  least one blacker than black pair.

Another very well-priced pair with a very good wash.

And finally, I couldn’t resist including these, which make me think of 2003, except they’ve got a slightly higher waist than what I was wearing in 2003.

Posted on August 22nd, 2017 13 Comments

1. Kate f says:

(FYI for some reason the name/email fields auto populate w the info for someone named Lisa, including her last name and gmail address!!?)

Gotta say, that last pair makes me very nostalgic for 2003, when those jeans made us all look 4 inches taller and 10 pounds lighter. (Also I wasnactually 23, so that helped, too.)

2. DeDe says:

I am so not ready for fall. Just thinking about layering anything, or having to lace up a pair of shoes, or even just wearing socks, makes me want to crawl into bed and sleep for eight months. But maybe a new pair of jeans would help (and I actually need them, so totally justified!). And these are all really good ones.

3. Carolyn says:

Are we officially allowed to wear regular (long) length jeans again? I feel like all I’m seeing is crops/ ankle length, but I’ve held off chopping most of mine.

Even though I don’t want to think about summer ending, this is a great selection of jeans. The Madewell ones will probably make it into my closet.

5. GT says:

Forget the jeans — I want that sweater shown with the Madewell pair!

6. C.Michol says:

My kingdom for a return to full-length pants.

7. Layla says:

I can’t wait until the pre-whiskered look GOES AWAY! so awful. I don’t mind if it’s an old pair of worn in APCs/Levi’s, but brand new destroyed/whiskered jeans look so tacky and I wish I could just buy a pair of dark jeans with out the super fake tiger stripes

• Ellie says:

Seriously. What is the world coming to when this selection is the what passes for “minimal whiskering”?

Lee, unfashionable and old-lady as they are, is one of the few brands I can find doing reliably un-whiskered dark-wash jeans. Often with bonus comfy waistband!

I surprised myself by realizing I want a pair of flares for fall! Is that weird? Are they on the cusp of a comeback or did they never really leave?

9. Candy says:

Don’t want to think about cold weather, no no no. But those Madewell jeans are a click away from showing up on my credit card bill. Great color and cut. And love those blacker-than-black ones, too, mainly because black and jeans. Thanks for the great undestroyed choices.

10. Tamara WINAWER says:

Those madewell jeans….yup. On their way. By since I’m moving next month, I’ve got a zero growth closet policy so a pair of jeans will need to get evicted when these arrive…