Wednesday 22nd November 2017

Things I bought, things I want

I’ve been wearing this belt nonstop since ordering it from Madewell a few weeks ago. It’s a really good army green, and a nice alternative to the usual leather, which is lovely this time of year. Plus, it allows you to add a hit of print to whatever you’re wearing, which keeps things interesting.

I’m liking the idea of higher-waisted (if not exactly high-waisted) jeans, and ordered these because I like the wash a lot and the frayed hem. They have a lot of stretch in them—more than I typically like—but it keeps them very comfortable, and they don’t look like they have a lot of stretch in them, which is key.

This blouse doesn’t look like much, but click through, and zoom in on cutest car print (it also comes in a very pretty dress).

I’ve been fixating on a pair of metallic boots for months now, and these are pretty perfect, and would be even more so once they were broken in a bit (here is a cheaper pair, if you’re interested).

A stylish friend of mine pointed out recently that all the cool chicks are wearing canvas bags, sort of as an anti-status-bag statement, which of course made me want one immediately.  This one has a great shape, and is big enough for a laptop.

Posted on August 18th, 2017 11 Comments

I bought a pair of Paul Green booties a couple of years ago that are neither gold nor silver, but something in-between and surprised myself by how often I wear them.

Love those jeans. I like any higher waisted jean that doesn’t have that mom-jean look and those seem to fit that particular like.

The cut of the mini-car print blouse reminds me of a vintage (1940s) pajama shirt. Which I love.

2. Kristie says:

I am wearing your fave Emerson Fry caftan, which just arrived yesterday. I have regretted not buying it the first time you posted it a couple years ago, and have two friends who did to keep reminding me how awesome it is when they wear it on group travel. Finally got it in prep to move onto my boat, where it seems perfect for so much. I couldn’t believe they were still making it when you posted it last week! So comfy, so lovely. THANK YOU!

3. y.k. says:

i am ordering that belt now. thanks kimfrance!

4. Hick from Styx says:

I cannot bring myself to buy metallic go-go boots, due to fear of looking like a Fembot. I enjoy seeing them on store shelves, though. They are everywhere this month.

5. DeDe says:

I am also digging the hell out of that belt. And higher-waisted-yet-chic jeans, because they’re like an attractive denim girdle. So basically they’re two great tastes that go great together! Damn, you are *good*.

6. Jill says:

I have no affiliation with them, other than we’re from the same city and I love their bags, but if you’re into canvas bags of late, please check out Moop (https://www.moopshop.com/). I have a whole host of their awesome handcrafted canvas and felt bags and they are fantastic!

Canvas bags strike me as a really great…functional…idea. You don’t have to be precious with them, they’re cheaper, and, as you pointed out, anti-status.

The belt reminds me of something I owned in the 70’s…so great!

8. Mockingbird says:

I’m slowly coming around to higher waisted jeans. I still remember the liberating feeling of the first pair of low rose ones I bought, like oh god 22 years ago, and finally not having my waist stabbed when I sat down. Even at my thinnest it hurt. But somehow designing jeans that fit women with a waist and butt so they don’t gape wide enough in the back to serve as an extra pocket seems to be the stuff of sci fi, and I sometimes forget to nonchalantly slap my hand over my lower back when I lean over so I don’t flash strangers. So I’m willing to have a waistband a couple inches higher to keep them from falling quite as low when they stretch out over the day. But never going back to so high the button is in my navel.

• DeDe says:

You might be surprised by some of these newer high-eaisted guys, though – they’re actually pretty comfortable. Unlike their predecessors they have actual stretch, so they pinch a whole lot less! (The old-school ones used to come up to my ribcage, so I have some serious feelings about those!!)

9. kates says:

Although I own (too) many great leather bags, I find that I most often reach for one my many canvas bags because they are way lighter and easier to carry. As someone with a torn rotator cuff and a bad neck this makes a huge difference.
    (And boy do I sound old!)

10. irene says:

the baggu bag reminds me of a canvas version of the mansur gavriel lady bag.