Wednesday 20th September 2017

Wednesday links

• These photos of various Asian cities at night are stunning. (Colossal)
  • God, this footage of what went down in Charlottesville is scary. (Kottke)
  • Also: this is horrifying, but in an altogether different way. (Dangerous Minds)
  • None of these maps are on paper, and they’re all really cool. (Atlas Obscura)
  • This Princess Diana documentary sounds kind of good. (Elle)

Posted on August 16th, 2017 6 Comments

1. lornagnyc says:

This is such a scary time to be in America especially for people of color, Jews transgender people. GCA friends who are POC and Jewish, my heart is with you.

Plenty of well meaning white people are complicit in the events that took place in Charlottesville. We have to use our anger and frustration over this to summon the energy to do better. I hope this is a turning point and not the first of many.

As a Jewish lesbian I don’t remember being afraid for my safety.I choose my son’s name so folks would know he’s a Jew (at least culturally). I am so scared for us.

2. caroline says:

I am having a difficult time not thinking about the awfulness that went down in Charlottesville this weekend..
    however, the bikini butt charms did make me laugh out loud.
    Butt I’m kind of a child..😊
    Xx.

3. joannawnyc says:

That Vice Charlottesville video is SO hard to watch! I’m currently paused halfway through, generating fortitude. It’s not just the language of casual racism, it’s that they are SO SURE they are right, and they are so demonstrably wrong.

4. DD says:

Thank you for posting the video about the Nazi/White supremacist movement..It’s so important to really understand what’s going on. It’s hard to think about dresses at a time like this.

There is an excellent article––Is America Headed For A New Kind of Civil War?––in the New Yorker.

On a positive news front…the Bathroom Bill was defeated in Texas yesterday. For now.

Bikini Butt Charms. I can’t even…

6. Hick from Styx says:

These dark days make one not want to watch the evening news, and yet ignorance is not bliss.

Two of my great-great-grandfathers volunteered for the Union in the Civil War. I find myself wondering what they would think of all this.