Monday 21st August 2017

Just for kicks: poufs

Poufs, as far as I can tell, are utterly pointless items for the home—too squat to sit upon, to un-sturdy to place anything on—and yet I find myself wanting one. Particularly, a bright and happy one, like this, which is kind of too adorable.

These crocheted stripes are pretty stellar as well, and the price is quite decent.

Here’s an altogether splurgetastic option from Missoni.

And here’s a fun print.

Posted on August 11th, 2017 15 Comments

1. y.k. says:

no! poufs are very useful! my crocheted poof allows me to sit confortably in an ordinary armchair & read for hours since my feet are nicely elevated.

Never had a pouf, never thought I needed one. However, the first one isn’t stuffed so you can stuff it yourself with whatever––one of the suggestions being sweaters––so now my brain is ticking along in a completely different direction.

3. joannawnyc says:

When we bought a new sofa, we bought a matching ottoman/hassock for stretching out and reading, but what I really wanted was a matching moroccan pouf! Either way, it seems doomed to become a cat bed.

4. Cora says:

I bought a Muji pouf for me. The dog sleeps on it all day.

5. Mary Alice says:

My puppy would be overjoyed to see the giant chew toy!

6. Laurel says:

I related to all of this regarding “utterly pointless items for the home.” Ha! I have yet to buy one but they sure are cute!

7. suz says:

Think of them as dog thrones.

8. NWDCDiva says:

I think I figured poufs out. You take a piece of heavy cardboard and cut it out in the shape of the round part of the top of the pouf. That creates a stable top. You then take the same heavy cardboard and basically create an internal structure that supports the top (I cut the cardboard into pieces twice the height of the pouf and folded them inside it). Once you have that structure in place. stuff as much stuff as you can into the pouf — rags, plastic bags, anything to fill in all the space as solidly as possible. This supports the internal structure and keeps it from collapsing. I use my Moroccan pouf for cocktails (it cannot support my weight, but then that is my weight … another topic). Hope this helps dear friends!

9. Candy says:

I now love poufs for no other reason than because they elicited all these hilarious comments. Great job, ladies.

I’m helping a friend design her new condo, and I talked her into an adorable (but most likely useless) pouf from West Elm. Trust me, it’ll make the room!

11. Debra says:

I just like the name. POUF!

Don’t be ALOOF!

WOOF!

I think they are cute, and if solid enough to sit on, so much the better.

I still think though that recliners are unfairly ignored. What is wrong with being comfortable? And there is no better place to sleep when fighting a cold. Maybe what some of you really need is a nice comfy *recliner*!!!!

13. Cheryl says:

I sit on my pouf every morning while I meditate!