Monday 21st August 2017

Home again

I had a fantastic time in Italy, guys. The yoga was stellar (I even managed to get myself into crow pose—for a few brief seconds), the company was lovely and the countryside was simply to die. The only real drawback was that the weather was stinking hot: I’m talking over 100 degrees the entire time, with no A/C in the villa. So when we weren’t in class, we hung out a lot at the pool, which is where this snap was taken. I’m actually wearing a bikini in this picture—it was too steamy not to—and it was so liberating that I think I will not care about my stomach pooch and trot it out a lot for the rest of the summer. I still have serious vacation brain—I always do after a trip—so please bear with me this week as I get back up to speed. Also: I’m in the mood to do requests, so please do let me know if you’ve got some.

Posted on August 7th, 2017 56 Comments

1. Jana says:

Welcome back, Kim! Your trip sounds perfect, even with the extreme heat (did the temp give you Texas flashbacks?!).

You should definitely rock the bikini. I checked out your Insta–you look divine!

Glad you had fun….

2. DeDe says:

Two words: author photo. (Oh and two more: welcome back!!)

3. y.k. says:

congrats on the fleeting crow! a proper crow feels like flying.
    requests- fillers & other such procedures for the face, tank tops & watches. how’s that for a set? 😊

4. Mouse says:

I def second the author photo…..

Request: 100% cotton straight jeans for small-waist big butt women. With a higher rise. And not too tight. And not mom-jeans.

In other words, normal old-fashioned 1970s jeans.

5. Tamara WINAWER says:

What about bras? I don’t think I’ve ever seen you do a post on bras…I just ordered one from that company third love that seems to be all over the internet…

6. Kay Erikson says:

Sandals for when your pedi looks trashed.

• Achariya says:

I second this request. Living in the south I feel self-conscious about my toe polish all the time, but I swim way too much for it to remain on my body.

Also, welcome back.

Cute picture! Glad to see you’re back.

8. Susan says:

you look lovely!
    posts on adfordable jeans and on backpacks that don’t look like you’re wearing your teenaged daughter’s?
    welcome back:)
    xo susan

9. Mdot says:

Skin redness…seems to have appeared in my 40s. What to do about it (products, lifestyle, vitamins??) And a post on women who are aging authentically and gracefully.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Yes to women who are aging authentically!!!

• Julia says:

My skin is about as ruddy and weatherbeaten as possible. I’ve been using this moisturizer (no I’m not a shill) called Dr. Jart’s tiger green cream (or something similar) You can get it at Sephora, not cheap, but it has spf in it, so you can knock that out as a separate product. It’s the best thing to happen to my skin in years. The green totally gets rid of the red, and don’t worry, it doesn’t look green on your face.

10. Reed says:

Navy pieces for fall. I’m trying to move away from black.

• Jenny says:

Yes! Esp. how to wear head-to-toe navy, or navy dress with black tights/shoes. I struggle with wearing navy or other non-black dresses in the fall b/c I can’t figure out what to do about tights. In my 20s I rocked colored/patterened tights (crazy colors, crazy patterns, those were the days) but it doesn’t work now in my later 40 boss-lady phase.

• Elle says:

Or maybe a week of black alternatives? Black is too harsh as you get older. But I dislike navy. What about charcoal grays and midnight ocean teals.

11. MP says:

Would love to see a post on what you wear and carry with you when you travel (both for short and long flights), and what you pack for your stay/how you organize things. Planes and hotels just gross me out, which makes traveling stressful (though better than fear of crashing, I guess!), but I have to travel so much this year, so your tips would be greatly appreciated! Glad you’re back and that you had a splendid time!

12. Samantha says:

Welcome back Kim!
    I’d love some help with watches. I’m looking to buy a “grown up” watch – something that means business and screams good taste!
    I love the Cartier Tank Francaise with the stainless steel band…but that’s out of my price range.
    Any thoughts?

13. Judy says:

A simple, plain, navy or black a-line cotton-ish skirt with maybe a little bit of stretch. Size 12-16.

A) Welcome home.

B) Your blog was missed, but very glad you had such a great yoga retreat.

C) What to wear over what one wears to go to wherever it is one goes to work out––I frequently run a couple of errands after pilates and am always “struggling” on what to throw on over my exercise clothes so I don’t look like the proverbial mutton as lamb whilst plodding along the aisles at Whole Foods.

15. Darcy says:

Ethical and cruelty-free clothing. (not as tedious as it sounds. ! There is fun/good stuff out there for sure. )

16. Tami says:

Welcome back!

I’m requesting a post on work bags. My leather MZ Wallace tote is looking a little tired.

17. NWDCDiva says:

Welcome back! How were you able to balance the amazing food and wine with doing yoga? I probably would have sipped a chilled prosecco through the afternoon classes …

So I’d love to hear about options for aging lips. I have that ugly wrinkled/spidered upper lip even though I never smoked (I think it is from whistling). Red lipstick runs up it. I have tried lipliners but most of them hurt (they are made of wood and the color part is hard and I fear it is making the damage to the outer edges of my lips worse). Ideas?

A discussion of fillers would be good too. No one wants the Donald Duck look, but what is available for small corrections (like my upper lip)? Maybe a guest column from an excellent plastic surgeon or whoever it is that does that work?

Final idea — I am back to practicing law so need formal office wear that is not personality-less. I LOVED the old Helmut Lang dresses, which I felt looked cool but elegant and appropriate for a woman of a certain age. Who now makes dresses in that niche? James Pearce uses the jersey fabrics that are just not formal enough.

You may need to enlist the assistance of your Italian floating flamingo again to address all these good ideas your followers have … thanks!

• Jenny says:

Yes to office wear with personality — and for the DC crowd, not the NY/LA more creative types (much harder challenge). Also, navy & ethically made, per my above “yes please” additions.

• Liz Armbruster says:

I chuckled a bit at lip lines caused by whistling! There are worse ways to line your face. 🙂

18. Jennifer says:

Hi!

Welcome home. All of the suggestions above are great! I especially love the one about sandals for when your pedi is trashed.

Also, do you have bloggers that you follow and love? Willing to share those with us too?

Namaste,
    J

19. Lynn in Tucson says:

More women “of a certain age” need to be out and about in bikinis. I have a friend who grew up in Turkey and she brings a completely different level of ease to her swimsuit wearing. It’s been inspiring.

• Debra K says:

Same experience whenever I spend time in Greece or Mexico, all shapes, sizes and ages rocking bikinis of all kinds. No one cares and no one judges. We need to Free the Pooch!

20. Cola says:

A cross body purse which is pickpocket adverse. (Unfortunately, nothing is pickpocket proof.) It must have at least one zippered compartment, which in turn has an internal zippered pocket for a small wallet. I would also like it to be fairly structured (i.e., not too slouchy) and large enough for wallet, phone, sunglasses, notebook and pencil (and possibly a light scarf or sweater) but not so large that it quickly gets filled up with extraneous junk. Oh, and it can’t cost more than my plane ticket.

21. Trixie says:

Welcome back and congrats on Crow! I find it really helps to pull your stomach in for that and most yoga poses– i think it helps with your center of gravity. Makes a huge difference on Half Moon. Would love a post on more structured day dresses that I can wear to my creative job, ideally of the fit and flare variety and not wool. Thanks!

22. Eloise says:

Welcome Back!! Having just thrown away my very last one, I’d LOVE a post on non-boring black cardigans – office acceptable but with a “twist”) – black or other dark color cardigans and non-old lady “blouses.” (Does the word “blouse” creep anyone else out?)

23. Michelle says:

I would love help finding a dress for an October black-tie-optional wedding, if you want to do a post on dressing up but still looking chic. Everything out there seems too young or too matronly.

24. Alexa says:

Welcome home. We missed you! : ) Glad your had a great time, and love the photo.
    I have a few requests, in addition to the good ones already up: some dark floral/ transitional-hued midi dresses, just like the gorgeous ones in the next post BUT under $150. Ankle boots that hit lower on the ankle, for us short girls. (I’ve seen these referred to as “shooties”. Cringe) And relatedly, how about some good jeans,in black and gray a bonus, with a shorter inseam, like less than 29″.
    I think that’s it for now. I bet you’re missing that vacation. ; )

25. Beth C. says:

I have finally come to the realization I really should get a backpack for commuting. I don’t want to go back to my college Jansport or just get the same Hershel model everyone end their uncle has. I’d be cool with investing a little int he right one, but I’m not looking to drop more than $150 or so. Suggestions would be very appreciated!

• S. says:

Yes. I’ve been using a structured, sort of tailored-looking Matt & Nat backpack for years (the Brave) and love it. (The vegan leather is a big plus for me.) But I was just thinking earlier today that I’m getting kind of bored and that I should see if I can find something similar, but different!, to throw into rotation.

26. lizzie says:

i missed your posts…sorry about the roasting heat. happy about the pool, though! since we are of the same age…how do we feel about botox/lasers/fillers etc? women where i live are loathe to speak of it-but they do look younger than they really should-i might be jelly? I’m not even sure i like it, or i am just getting used to it. lets fess up and share what the good, bad and the ugly or pretty is! we could really help each other out.

27. sally says:

Third person who wants a work/adult appropriate backpack post. Leather ones from madewell look ok but the leather looks slightly fake. Anything else out there?

Welcome back, Kim! I checked out the yoga app you posted and I’m going to give it a try. The universe is telling me that it’s time!

Request: Flare jeans or wide-leg (full length!) Trouser jeans for GOACA’s. I’m feeling the need for a change. I guess I’m bored with skinnies and boyfriends.

29. Jacqueline says:

Glad you had a wonderful trip! There were already many good suggestions. How about some pretty, summery skirts, please? Something to wear before we start thinking fall clothes. Do enjoy your blog. It is always interesting. Look forward to seeing what topics you have day.

30. Julie says:

Welcome back!
    My request is SHOES! Work appropriate ( I am a physician), but not ugly and not too $$$$. I wear heels or at least a wedge daily and running out of ideas for reasonably priced options.
    Thank you !!!

31. Caroline says:

Welcome back!
    Trip looked divine.
    My idea of heaven is a lovely lunch alfresco at an Italian villa btw.. doesn’t get any better!!
    I second the request for sandals for bad pedi days.. I’m kinda lazy.
    Also decided to up my pants game. So would love some fall pants that aren’t jeans.
    And aren’t super skinny. Trying to branch out😂
    Xx.

32. CA says:

Great post and funny funny comments. I’m up for another post on life transitions and changing your style/wardrobe to reflect where you are or where you want to be. I’m experiencing major life changes and right now I’m reaching mostly for my black and white basics. I’m moving to a different part of the country for work in a few months- what’s a fun way to start channeling that LA vibe? xoxo

33. suz says:

Frame this pic.

34. Eloise says:

It may be too late to add a request but affordable “Black tie optional” for short people?

35. GT says:

Regarding bikinis: when I lived in Europe I realized that *normal women wear bikinis* there. Sometimes they look fantastic; sometimes they just look…comfortable. But they don’t do it apologetically. Perhaps we can take a lesson from our sisters across the pond?

36. melsybelsy says:

Hi! Welcome Back. Love your pool pic! Loved Sassy mag – love that I found your blog!

I teach HS and am fortunate that I can wear jeans to work. That said, I want to look put together when I wear them. I would love to see what you’d throw together with jeans to dress them up more/look polished.

• Angela says:

Another teacher voting for polished jeans looks (another poster mentioned trouser jeans – I miss them in my wardrobe) and to kick this challenge up a notch – comfortable shoes to wear with them that look good with the outfit. I’m on my feet all day and the only heel I can tolerate is Dansko’s.