Tuesday 17th October 2017

A better-late-than-never post on weekenders

I just realized summer is more than halfway over and I haven’t brought you a post on weekenders yet, which doesn’t seem quite right. So please forgive me for my lateness, and let’s start with a bag that’s quite like the one I’ve been shlepping out to Sag Harbor with on the regular: the colors here are just so good, and it’s lined in a nice silky fabric.

This is on the splurgy side, but is so elegant, and super-durable.

Here is one that looks much fancier than it is.

I’ve checked out this one from Clare V on more than one occasion, and my friend Michelle bought it and loves it; it’s super-lightweight and comes in several good colors.

Just a really classic version from Tumi.

This is actually a gym bag, but it’s big enough to use as a weekender, and nobody’s going to arrest you for doing so.

I am not the biggest fan of Longchamp bags, but I do think this looks pretty fantastic in army green.

From Herschel: just a good solid basic tote.

A cute little collab between LeSportsac and Rifle Paper Co.

A camo option, but of course. The inside is lined in the best bright orange.

I always love a mix of canvas and leather.

Posted on August 2nd, 2017 11 Comments

1. catherine says:

Partial to Longchamp – maybe because i am French! I bought that Longchamp weekender in Paris last month – in black. It’s great. Perfect size and sooo light! i have a slightly smaller one as well – for at least 12 years, which is still impeccable.

2. Valerie says:

Love the first bag. Took one very much like it on a hitchhiking trip across mexico and central america in the early 90s and never a border crossing without it being searched exhaustively for drugs.
    Valerie

3. Mary Alice says:

Just a heads up about Longchamp bags (or any other nylon bag) My daughter’s roommate was on the subway and a thief slashed her Longchamp bag and stole her wallet. Those bags are not very secure. Id go with leather or heavy canvas.

4. Sharona says:

Love that first bag.
    I’ve been happy this summer with the Lo & Sons Catalina, sturdy canvas that holds a ton.

5. Wendela says:

I am totally coveting one of the Lo & Sons weekenders, and feel that they belong on your list! Beautiful canvas bags, well designed, in several sizes and lots of colors. Link included here: https://www.loandsons.com/weekender-travel-bags/

• Sharona says:

I can vouch for them, Wendela. Sturdy and pretty, and so far, wearing well. (I’ve got the big weekender with the shoulder strap, in the charcoal.) The only downside is that it’s awkward slid over the handle of a rolling bag, and the over-handle sleeve feels exactly like the actual pocket on the other side of the bag until your stuff falls out of the unzipped bottom opening.

6. LisaR says:

I’ve found that both Tumi and Longchamp really stand by their products and provide great customer service.

When the zipper on my Tumi bag broke, I brought it to one of their stores to see if they could fix it. I was told that the zipper should not have broken and that they would repair it without charge. When they were unable to repair it (I believe that style of zipper was no longer available), I was contacted and provided with a generous credit to pick out a new bag.

I’ve been very pleased with my Longchamp le pliage bags (so great to fold up and use while traveling and they are easy to clean). The corners do get little holes in them eventually (especially if you over stuff them like I do) but if you bring them to a Longchamp store they will send them out for repair and then mail the bags back to you without charge (they also did this for me when a seam started to split on the side of a bag).

7. Jess says:

I live out of weekenders. The Longchamp ones are not my most fashionable choice, but they’re light, packable, and water resistant. The expandable one is handy but can be awkward to carry.

The leather and canvas madewell one (last posted) is lovely but HEAVY. I also find the length awkward, but it’s my favorite aesthetically.

I have the Clare V one – it wears well and isn’t super heavy. It’s…fine.

Funny enough, I use a lesportsac one nearly every weekend. It’s durable, fits into ANY overhead bin, and I can fit a crazy amount of stuff in it. The shoulder strap length is perfect, too.

I’m always on the hunt for the perfect weekender but so far… LSS is tops.

8. Gables girl says:

I don’t see much difference in the Claire V and Longchamp except price. I love my Longchamp, they last forever and can be washed in the machine. I bought my weekender in Paris and it can collapse or unzip to create a double-sized bag. It is great for packing flat and filling up on purchases for the trip home.