Tuesday 17th October 2017

I can’t stop buying striped shirts

Possibly you are all tired of posts on button-down shirts here, but I really am having a moment with them, and find that I’m particularly drawn to those with stripes. I’ve been wearing them with jeans and trousers and even denim cutoffs and they seem perfect with all of those things—and a little bit preppy, which I kind of like in the summer. This pink iteration seems especially good for right about now.

This is nice and summery too.

It is so hard to find a good red striped shirt—especially with fatter stripes,which is what I like best. (And here’s a similar plus-size option.)

A nice subdued choice, with stripes in black, white, and grey.

The band collar here is a nice touch.

I might have purchased this one, because the red and blue stripes together are just too much cuteness.

I like that you can just barely see the stripes
here

Posted on July 31st, 2017 8 Comments

1. Emily M. says:

I love these! I am very conscious about sun protection in the summer, and I love that button-down shirts cover my arms but still feel cool. I often wear them over tank tops so that I can take them off when the sun goes down, or if I am in the shade. Plus they pair well with all kinds of hats, which I am also very into.

2. joannawnyc says:

I am the same way with linen shirts in summer. Kind of thinking I should pick up that red & white one!

3. Rita says:

I do love stripe shirts too, and t-shirts. I find they give either a casual look or a more elegant one.

I’m never tired of stripes or button downs! They tick every box for me. Does anyone else find that while Rails has the cutest shirts around, the sleeves run small in the upper arm? It could just be me.

5. Natalie says:

Uniqlo do amazing cotton, linen, denim and flannel shirts during various seasons – they tend to be excellent quality, well cut and really cheap (especially given the former). I know not everyone has a store in their city but they do online too. Cannot speak highly enough of their pieces.

6. Hick from Styx says:

Very nice selection, all of which I would wear.

7. MP says:

Feels very silly to ask, but any advice on how to best tuck them either half-way or completely? It seems like it should be obvious and easy, yet I just cannot get it to look right.

8. Ali says:

Just a wee edit, Darlings. The term “button down” shirt comes from menswear and actually refers to the collar: there will be tiny buttons at the ends of the collar points. You’d need to ask someone else what they were for, I always thought they looked uptight, limited versatility and were a vestige of some old uniform.

The term for the shirts you show is “button front”.
    They look great and clean. And you are absolutely right: I need some fresh ones! Clothes can become as tired as the person in them…