Sunday 17th December 2017

Tuesday links

• These abstract neon light installations are pretty cool. (Colossal)
  • Looking for a rabbit hole to fall into this morning? How about this rundown of the top 150 albums made by women? (NPR)
  • These vintage snapshots of people posing with their TV sets is delightfully random. (Dangerous Minds)
  • Check out this crazy Chinese bookstore. (Flavorwire)
  • Here is the trailer for Rebel in the Rye, about a young J.D. Salinger, which I am mostly showing you because it stars uber-hottie Nicholas Hoult. (A.V. Club)

Posted on July 25th, 2017 9 Comments

1. Candy says:

Thanks for the link to the top 150 albums made by women (fascinating!), even if it did make the last half-hour mysteriously disappear.

2. DeDe says:

I can never not read a Best Of music list. I am a total sucker for them, yet they always, *always* disappoint, probably because I am an insufferable music geek and kind of a snob about it, though I hate admitting it. Ok, so here goes: there’s a lot of good music on here, but it’s such an NPR list, especially the top 50 – look at all those singer-songwriters! Good ones, but still, c’mon (though at least Missy Elliott is way high up on the list, like #3 or something, which is fabulous)! Also, excuse me, but if The Roches are on the list, then where are Kate and Anna McGarrigle? Also conspicuously missing imo are Blossom Dearie, Esma Redzepova, Candi Staton, Minnie Riperton, Patsy Cline (!!!), Kitty Wells, Sandy Denny, Brigitte Fontaine, Etta James (was she really not listed or did I somehow miss her?), and I could go on but honestly we can all probably think of artists who should be on this list but aren’t, right? Because ultimately these things are heavily subjective. Though personally I (of course!) think the aforementioned artists should’ve been included by any measure.

I also have a bone to pick with the fact that there are so many albums from the past ten years listed here – I feel like that’s cheating somehow, like it’s just too soon to come to grips with an album’s full cultual impact (and again, if we’re gonna play that way, where the hell is Margot Price? She should be right up NPR’s alley!). Anyway, just my 2,000 unsolicited cents. At least Fanny was on this list, though mostly I feel like NPR was just showing off with that one. 😉

• Dana D says:

DeDe…

This is funny. And you clearly know way more about music than the average gal.

I love that list, but I can only claim familiarity with a certain number of those albums…

• DeDe says:

Thanks, Dana! I truly know next to nothing compared to some people, but my goal is to cede as little ground to asshole music dudes as possible!

Someone else not on this list who is worth checking out (because she’s really good and was hugely influential) is Karen Dalton. Also Dorothy Ashby. OK DONE NOW.

• Christine says:

I hear you Dede, especially regarding Blossom Dearie, whom I saw as often as I could at various piano bars in Manhattan.

I’m disappointed Bow Wow Wow didn’t make it in there, but their big hit, “I want Candy” was part of an EP, not a full fledged album; and maybe only having Anabella Lwin was not enough to consider this “made by women.” Glad to see Siouxsie Sioux, the Slits and the Raincoats.

Which brings me to another thing… I hereby request Kim to do a seasonal, or at least monthly GOACA Spotify list.

• DeDe says:

Yeah, I think there were some artists who were missing because there wasn’t a definitive album-length thing that could be put on the list – like, Delia Derbyshire *should* be on there, you cannot overstate her importance, but she wasn’t commercial and can be a challenging listen (though the word unlistenable has been liberally applied to artists who ranked here, such as Diamanda Galas and Yoko Ono, so there’s that, also, none of these list makers would ever call someone like Ornette Coleman unlistenable – that is a term applied overwhelmingly to experimental women artists). And what about Billy Holiday? Or Bessie Smith? Or (HELLO) The Carter Family?! Ok, that’s going back aways, but lists of all-time greatest men’s albums, which is 99.9% percent of said lists, almost always include music made before 1960. Hey everyone, guess what? Women made important music before 1960, too! Jesus ugh.

Still though, happy to see the artists you mentioned, too, as well as ESG and Umm Kulthum. Betty Davis would’ve been awesome (the artist formerly married to Miles, not the actress!), but who are we kidding? There’s no way in hell that woulda happened. (For anyone who’s interested: https://lightintheattic.net/artists/6-betty-davis note: her stuff is 100% NSFW!!)

(Sorry everyone – in case you haven’t noticed, I Have Many Opinions About Music.)

• Maggie says:

I’m really surprised Jefferson Airplane didn’t make it on the list. I might’ve chosen Slick’s The Great Society instead, but Surrealistic Pillow is a classic.

Also would’ve picked Linda Ronstadt’s first album over the one they chose, and would’ve added The Pentangle, France Gall, Melanie, Linda Perhacs, Juliana Hatfield, Blondie, Janis Ian. And I must’ve missed Carole King, right? And for an NPR list to leave out The Indigo Girls seems so wrong. I have to go back and check that.

3. y.k. says:

totally agree we need a GOCA spotify list & a GOCA t shirt too please . & i LOVE those neon light installations.