Sunday 17th December 2017

Little dishes and trays for your whatnots

I store my jewelry in dishes like this, but they can have so many uses—it’s handy to have one bedside, too, and for makeup, and they’re quite useful for office supplies, too, if you’re the type of person whose home is your workplace as well. I really like the gold and green on this tiger tray from Jonathan Adler.

Here’s a slightly splurgy—but so very cheery—one from Missoni.

This one costs a mere $19, and comes in several good colors.

This is quite tiny, and so sweet, and perfect for rings.

I love the idea of this placed on something red.

And I’m crazy for the vintage look of this Waylande Gregory option.

Rather elegant and slightly rough-hewn at the same time.

You can’t beat a John Derian plate.

Posted on July 21st, 2017 10 Comments

1. Alix says:

I think the Adler one’s creepy. A tiger skin? Eww.

2. Lesa says:

Kim is clearly a few years younger than me (I’m 59). These dishes, cute as they may be, are exactly the kind of *stuff* I have accumulated way too much of over my lifetime and am actively trying to divest myself of.

3. Helen says:

are you going to do a Nordstrom sale post?

I think everyone should have a “whatnot” tray for their….whatnots. I love the elegant rustic one to air out my jewelry after a wearing, my theory being that jewelry needs an airing. 😉

5. suz says:

I have a few of these scattered around – some are grannie hand me downs (these were such a thing 1930s-50s) and some are new. They are ideal for daily worn stuff. My vague attempt at organizing….

I love the Adler one!

6. Micah says:

I have a variety of jewelry and whatnot dishes and trays, but the ones I love best are my southern grandmother’s crescent shaped bone dishes – so called because that was where you tastefully put the bones from quail or fish whilst dining. The lovely little china moons with moss rosebuds hold my jewelry – which all has a rock and roll vibe.

How far women have come!