Tuesday 25th July 2017

Things I bought, things I want

I wrote about this top ages ago, and wanted it for ages too, but something in me resisted. Finally it went on massive sale at The Great, and I could resist no more. And I’m so glad I gave in because it is such a good shirt—don’t let the fact that it’s 100% synthetic put you off: it is ultra-light, and the fabric is so breathable, even in this hideous heat.

I got these camo shorts purely for lounging-about purposes (I very much like these, too).

I can’t stop thinking about this adorable clog sandal: the color is so good, and the back-tie is just a little sexy.

And I absolutely adore this clutch. It comes in black too, but there’s something so appealing about the lilac.

It’s a Nili Lotan trouser I do not yet own, and I am very intrigued by its overall slouchiness. I don’t even mind the drop-crotch: it is a minority view, I know, but I think a drop-crotch can be quite chic, and I think it is here.

Another pair of trousers, but these  are pretty much for transitioning to fall—forgive me for showing such a piece in July—as they’re made of wool. The topstitching on the waistband is a cool touch, and the crop is just right.

OK, just one more item that is not of this season (and one that skyrockets beyond the GOACA price limit too): this faux fur coat is just too much perfection and I want want want it.

Posted on July 17th, 2017 10 Comments

1. DeDe says:

Oh sweet baby jesus that coat!

The Great blouse is the one you wore in the Instagram photo that your brother took, right? It looks terrific on you (and a really good photo!).

I keep looking at those Nili Lotan pants––they look so comfortable, but at the same time…a tad weird. I think I’d have to see them on a normal body and not a model body.

I’m of two minds with fake fur. I appreciate the fact that it’s fake (being vegetarian), but I always feel a little uneasy to like something that is trying to be something I’m not comfortable with people wearing. Made all the more confusing by my sentence structure and the fact that I DO like the faux fur you show. And––true confession––I own an actual mink coat my parents gave me in 1984 because they thought I “needed” it. It’s hanging in the very back of my closet because I’m too embarrassed to get rid of it. Since I’ve never put it in cold storage it’s probably ratty and shedding everywhere, but I leave it all wrapped up in its cloth zipper bag and pretend it isn’t there. Oy and Egad.

3. suz says:

That coat, the red suede tie clog, and the squishy lilac clutch are perfect! Would make a bizarre outfit together – but damn.

4. Mimi says:

Fear not the Nili Lotan dropped crotch pants! Although c.w. makes a good point. They probably work best on smaller bodies. If you’re a size 8 or less, they make you feel and look skinny.

5. Ann says:

I stalk The Great for their sale items. I bought that top too. I just love featherweight black for hot summers!

6. Amy in StL says:

So I have a drop crotch pant question: Do your thighs not chafe? I’m wearing a great pair of linen joggers from Loft today and they have a loose fit and the chafing is crazy!Do ya’ll wear spanx under them to keep the chub rub at bay?

There’s nothing like a great hippie peasant top!

8. Laurel says:

Thank you so much for introducing me to Nili Lotan! (Although my bank account may never recover–I had to order the faux fur coat.) I was in New York recently and stopped by her boutique on Duane St. I tried on the Paris pants, also a drop-crotch style, and was intrigued. I ended up purchasing the french military style instead, but may consider the Paris or similar in the future. They are more flattering than I would have initially thought, and I am a size 6 with an hourglass shaped figure. Another worthy splurge: the Clarissa cardigan. At $850, it is very pricey, but its cashmere softness surrounds you like a beautiful cocoon. I know it will be in heavy rotation this fall and winter, which is how I justified the expense.