Thursday 14th December 2017

Monday links

• I loved this clever, insightful review of Dandy Lion: The Black Dandy and Street Style, and not just because it was written by my former assistant—and now successful novelist—Rumaan Alam, but also because it appears on my friend Margaret’s excellent criticism site. (4 Columns)
  • 25 pretty cool staircases. (My Modern Met)
  • Here are some really gorgeous animal tattoos. (Colossal)
  • Fun facts about this year’s Emmy nominations. (Vulture)
  • A marching band played a Daft Punk Medley on Bastille Day for Our National Embarrassment and Emmanuel Macron; Macron gets it, laughs. Our National Embarrassment looks on cluelessly. (Kottke)

Posted on July 17th, 2017 6 Comments

1. Jana says:

There are so many other reasons to loathe Trump–I can let the Daft Punk medley thing go. It could be generational (I also was going to say everyone has different tastes in music, but I honestly can’t see Trump responding to any type of music).

2. suz says:

I just now watched that Daft Punk medley – it was so charming, and all I could think was that Obama would have loved it. Did not need to see the beady eyed lump of dough sitting there petulantly. He is embarrassing even when silent.

Just basic politeness is too much for this man.

3. Debra says:

I’ve been calling him 45 in my tweets. Our National Embarrassment is so much better even though it does take up more characters.

4. NAL says:

I am loathe to admit I must be in the same group as Our National Embarrassment because I don’t get what Macron is getting and ONE is not. Is it just that it is Daft Punk music or the selection of music in the medley or something else? Please help, at least I can be educated.

5. Nancy says:

Making fun of his lack of pop culture awareness seems a bit “mean girls” to me. There are problems to be criticized i.e. health care, misogyny, racism etc. Let’s “Go High”.

6. Cora says:

The really funny thing about Daft Punk and “Get Lucky”: The Russian Red Army Choir opened the Sochi Olympics with it.
    And now you have to check out all the other songs the Red Army Choir performed – they are quite something and really excellent.