Saturday 16th December 2017

A whole lot of red

I love red, and it’s probably the most flattering color on me, but I rarely wear it because I have a tough time finding items in that color I like. So I did a deep dive over the weekend, and came up with the following, starting with this dress, which is so easy and really comfortable-looking, but just a little sexy, too.

I love the idea of a pop of color at your feet, and this sandal is so adorable.

Just a pretty, becoming floral wrap dress from Rebecca Taylor.

Red chinos are perfection with a white button-down or tee this time of year.

A gorgeous skirt with such a graceful hemline.

This slouchy plus-size tee has the most flattering neckline.

The tomato red is pretty ideal on this James Perse tee.

Just a fun, party-worthy plus-size dress.

The stripes here area lot, but I think this is really chic, and the price is great.

A well-cut, office-worthy blouse.

The cutaway shape of this blazer is so damn snappy.

An Iro jacket in red makes all kinds of sense: throw it on and your boring jeans and a tee are suddenly a happening outfit.

It’s a little on the bare side, but I am in love with this dress—it is so feminine and kind of sweetly retro.

And finally: these were too good not to include.

Posted on July 10th, 2017 14 Comments

1. RebeccaNYC ( @mybackstageopera ) says:

Great choices, and thanks for the plus size options. But, really, no need to label them as such. We can tell…we really can.

Great post!

Just out of curiosity, what makes something a “chino?” Is it a kind of fabric? Is it different for men and women?

3. Kate says:

Love that you’re including options for bodies of all sizes, but please, please stop labeling things “plus size.”

• MariaO says:

I know the term “plus size” is cringe-inducing (should we then consider sizes 0 – 14 “negative size”? Ugh), but I appreciate the heads up, because you can’t always tell from the image what the available sizing is.

You could use “extended sizes”, but that to me implies that the clothes are available in 0 – 14 AND larger, and that sadly is often not the case.

Someday, all of this will be but a stupid memory of when clothing manufacturing and marketing was idiotically divided in this way, but that day is sadly not today.

I love red! My favorites are my red cotton cable sweater (an oldie from J Crew) and red striped St. James mainiere. Those sandals look like Ancient Greek!

5. MariaO says:

Ugh, sorry about the hideous link, although it seems to work!

6. Gables girl says:

Love my red JCrew chinos. Not a plus size but agree with the language. We can tell!

7. Raina says:

I ordered that Zara striped shirt dress. The cut is beyond bizarre with very full arms and a Gumby-ilke torso. It’s a shame, because the fabric and overall idea are superb.

8. Kate says:

Thanks for the link to Shegul, I just found an excellent wool suit there on sale. It’ll be my first job interview outfit not made out of polyester, ha.

9. miriam says:

RE: The plus size debate. I understand you’re trying to save people from clicking over to an item that’s not for them, but tell me, just how awful would it be for a straight-sized person to click on something that turns out not to come in her size? Plus-sized women do this ALL THE TIME, just hoping something they like might come in an XL or a 16. I think they’ll be able to deal.