Sunday 24th September 2017
Most Popular

Sorry. No data so far.

Friday links

• Talk about a rabbit hole: over 83,500 vintage sewing patterns are now available for your online perusal.
  • I love graphic novels—here are six that will that will make you cry. (The Cut)
  • Tomorrow marks the 25th Anniversary of Melrose Place, so here are 10 fun facts about that show. (Flavorwire)
  • This trailer for a documentary about an all-black LGBT gang in DC looks fascinating. (Kottke)
  • All the crazy things women are putting in their vaginas (that you probably shouldn’t). (Elle)

Posted on July 7th, 2017 6 Comments

1. DeDe says:

Man, those vintage patterns! Who doesn’t need a good dancing frock (LONDON DANCING! ALL MOONSHINE!)? And that MC Hammer one is freakin’ hilarious!

2. Hick from Styx says:

I see Bea Arthur as Maude in those vests.

3. kimberly says:

I wish I knew how to sew!!!! It is one skill that I always wished I had passed down to me

4. Mary Alice says:

My mother was a seamstress in the 60’s and my earliest memories are of trailing after her in fabric stores – I loved the colors and textures of the fabrics and she often parked me on the tall stools at the counters to page through pattern books to keep me occupied while she shopped. Thank you for bringing back these lovely memories. I lost her when I was 14 and seeing these old patterns bring back such happy memories.

5. DeDe says:

PS, another graphic novel that should’ve been on that list, imho, is Joyce Farmer’s Special Exits. That one doesn’t get nearly the attention it deserves, despite the excellent reviews when it came out. But that’s just true of Farmer, generally, I guess – she’s a straight-up feminist cartooning icon, but is almost never included on lists of such things (possibly because a lot of her work was overtly sexual, but still).

I’m also trying to get through one I picked up this winter by Dominique Goblet called Pretending is Lying, but am finding it super challenging. Maybe because it’s pretty dark, and I have a limited attention span for such things since November, for some strange reason *insert eyeroll*.

6. Gables girl says:

Why do I continue to be confused by the things GP/Goop suggest? Honestly I have no idea why we need to know what she puts in her vagina.