Tuesday 21st November 2017

Ten black dresses for summer

Black dresses are a cornerstone of my summer wardrobe, but I do try to nod to the season by wearing them with bright accessories, like my red No. 6 huaraches or an Antonello bag. Here are a few I like a lot, starting with one that’s a little surprising for me, as I never much go for corset belts. But the one here is so subtle, and the lines of the rest of the dress are so clean, that it works.

sweet neckline on an inexpensive, throw-it-on-and-go option.

I like that this feels kind of Grecian and breezy and romantic.

Sexy but also rather sweet.

Just the simplest V-neck t shirt dress.

very feminine, flowy plus-size option (I’m sorry, I know you don’t always like it when I single out the plus-size options, but I feel like I need to when you can’t discern from the model that this is the case).

I’m pretty sure I posted this excellent black floral from the Kooples before, but now it’s on sale, and how great is that?

I just like how very comfortable this one looks.

An  office-friendly choice, from Violeta, which is Mango’s pretty good plus-size line.

The  asymmetrical hem looks so striking on this otherwise quite straightforward dress.

Posted on June 26th, 2017 13 Comments

1. Erica says:

I for one appreciate that you identify the plus-size options – that way I don’t have to click every link to find out which item is plus-size and which isn’t. I would prefer that all clothing companies choose to produce their designs in an inclusive range of sizes, but given that we aren’t there, yet,I love that you are including larger sizes in your choices. Thanks!

2. Priscilla Lynch says:

All of these dress are attractive but so many have synthetic fabrics which are terrible in the heat.

• Heather says:

I disagree – these are much more wicking than cotton, which gets wet and stays wet (hence “cotton kills” in hiker parlance).

3. Tamara WINAWER says:

Of course the 2 dresses I click on are the priciest…true to form!

4. Dana D says:

OMG Kim I thought of you when I saw that Rachel Comey black Flux dress at Totokaelo last week…

It sold out in five seconds. Looks like they got one back in as a return. Lordy help me that dress in crazy wonderful.

Some other online shop is selling it in pale blue…but the black, oh my.

5. Dana says:

I love that 3.1 number so so much.

6. marjorie says:

Count me in among the “thank you for telling us which are plus size” gang!

7. Trish says:

I know you can’t please everyone but I like you pointing out the plus-sizes. It saves time in clicking every one. Why would that offend people? Oh yeah, people get offended over everything. I vote to keep at it. Love your blog, by the way!

• Dana D says:

I vote to name the plus-size options also.

We should be one big happy family here, and if it helps, thats a good thing.

I love that you are striving for inclusivity in that area…

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Yup! It doesn’t bother me to have them pointed out as plus-size. If I said that it did, previously, just ignore me.

8. Nyatichi says:

personally i prefer the fourth. simple yet elegant