Sunday 25th June 2017

Monday links

• The trippiest sea creatures you’ve ever seen. (Colossal)
  • For their inaugural shopping post, The Fug Girls tackle caftans. (Go Fug Yourself)
  • “If you want to know what killed her, it’s all of it,” Carrie Fisher’s brother said in response to the coroner’s report on her cause of death. I also found her daughter Billie Lourd’s statement, which you can read here, quite moving. (Vulture)
  • Accidental Wes Anderson locations: very amusing. (Elle)
  • And finally: I’ll be reading a particularly spicy excerpt (OK I’ll tell you; it’s about my affair) from my book-in-progress on June 27 in Brooklyn. Some other rather talented ladies will read too, and I believe there will be cocktails. Here’s the info.

Posted on June 19th, 2017 9 Comments

I may have to come into town for that reading. Very tempting.

Caftans…the socially acceptable nightgown…love them.

2. Debra says:

That Singapore train station makes me nauseous.

3. DeDe says:

Carrie did a great job raising that daughter if hers. What a smart, articulate, and compassionate young woman she is.

4. Nina says:

North Korea and Wes Anderson? No.

5. Tanya says:

Best of luck on your reading, that is exciting! I’m in Los Angeles so sadly won’t be able to attend but I’ll be in line to purchase when it makes it debut.

6. Mae says:

Regarding Carrie Fisher, her brother was right — it was everything that killed her.

Suppose, like many middle-aged women, you’re regularly taking 3 prescriptions — say estrogen, a statin and blood pressure medication — because your physician told you to. And you have an achy this or that, so you take ibuprofen regularly. And you’ve got allergies, so you take stuff for that. And you have trouble sleeping, so you take stuff for that. At any given moment, you have 6 or more different drugs in in your system without knowing how your body is handling the mix. Then one day you have surgery, and while you’re recovering, they give you more drugs, so now you’re taking 8 things. Then suppose (like Carrie Fisher and, truthfully, like me) you’re also the type who likes to get high with cigarettes, alcohol and drugs. You are playing with more fire every day.

By the time you’re 60, you’ve been mixing things in your system for 40+ years. You’re a walking time bomb, baby. You may be too high to care, and that’s fine for you, but awful for those who love you.

I’m sorry Carrie Fisher’s daughter lost her mom.

Sea creatures, caftans and Wes Anderson…just the things to kick off my summer on a high note!