Friday 18th August 2017

Tuesday links

• There are some fantastic pictures included in this interesting article about aerial photography. (My Modern Met)
  • A great piece about middle-aged female sexuality—based on my pal Claire Dederer’s excellent new memoir, Love and Trouble. (The Cut)
  • Portraits from the Summer of Love,  on the occasion of its 50th anniversary. (Flavorwire)
  • Don’t miss this profile of Hillary Clinton, by the awesome Rebecca Traister. (NY Mag)
  • These vintage photos (most of them look pretty 80s) of lady wrestlers are highly amusing. Ever-so-slightly NSFW. (Dangerous Minds)

Posted on May 30th, 2017 9 Comments

1. themis says:

I loved Love and Trouble. I don’t remember if I initially got the recommendation here. Just raw and honest and eminently readable. Like a time machine, a little bit.

• themis says:

I do take issue with both writers wrapping it all up in the excuse that motherhood stripped them of their physical desires until this mid-life reawakening. I have not had children; I still have this restlessness. I’m very happily married for ten years now, and my husband is sexy and supportive and clearly my soulmate. If anything ever happens to him, I intend to spend the rest of my life alone, because I can’t imagine anyone else ever measuring up. But the flirting, messaging, obsessive inappropriate crushing -? Oh hells yes. I think this is just part of the human condition. We all seek fresh validation.

• S. says:

Same here. Glad I’m not the only one who had to question the role of motherhood in that argument.

Hurrah, Kim is back!

3. DeDe says:

Thank you for sharing that Rebecca Traister article. There’s a lot of food for thought there (Dubya *actually* said the inauguration was “[s]ome weird shit”?! HELP ME I’M DYING), but I keep coming back to how the entire Democratic establishment turned on Hillary after the election, including, heartbreakingly, Obama. And now here she is, trying to get some money to people who could make a difference for the party – after everything she went through and is going through still – and what is he doing, exactly? I get that the guy needs a break, but we’re kind of in dire straights here. Anyway. Her resilience is mind-blowing.

4. Mary Alice says:

I thought the Dederer piece was really interesting, but I would have been interested to see her comment on how women of a certain age become invisible, so that the fresh validation might be very hard to come by.

• Maggie says:

I know, right? I can’t even get men to move out of my way on the sidewalk anymore, let alone flirt with me.

5. Jeanne says:

Thank you for the Hilary article. In reading it, I was surprised at how much the loss still hurts me.