Thursday 21st September 2017
Most Popular

Sorry. No data so far.

Plus-size spring dresses with grown-up hemlines

Universal Standard dress

I have heard the grumbling and I am listening: I need to be better about including on GOACA clothes in sizes that reflect the whole of my readership. Mostly I’ll do it by including options in regular posts instead of ghettoizing them as I am here, but I figured this might be a nice start. And please, because I am new to this, and because there are so very few plus brands I like, do pass along the names of designers you think do it well. One brand I absolutely adore is Universal Standard—their clothes are so cool I wish they came in my size—and this shirtdress is a prime example: just totally exactly right. It also comes in black, but the white is so damn crisp.

Eloquii dress

I an not a huge fan of off-the-shoulder looks—and it’s a trend that seems to have taken over this season—but this is so breezy and pretty.

Lafayette 148 dress

Just a fun, poppy floral.

Maria Rinaldi dress

The neckline here is absolutely stunning, and the silhouette is so elegant and classic.

Rachel Pally dress

A classic black wrap dress is just ease personified.

Eloquii dress

I love a shirtwaist dress, and the eyelet here is a nice touch.

Eloquii dress

I am all over this print.

Universal Standard dress

A highly wearable, so-chic cocoon dress from Universal Standard.

Posted on May 19th, 2017 43 Comments

1. ManekiNeko says:

This is great! I had wondered if there were other GOACAs who were also GOACS (girls of a certain size).

2. Maryse says:

I love the poppy dress!!!

3. RebeccaNYC says:

Thank you so much for this! Great choices! And this sentence made me laugh out loud: “their clothes are so cool I wish they came in my size” EXACTLY.

4. Maggie says:

Thank you for this! I am one of those who is in between “regular” and “plus” sizing, and it’s tricky to find things that fit and flatter.

5. Dana D says:

These are all beautiful…

I say job well done!

6. Kristie says:

Your friends over at A Cup of Jo had a lovely little piece recently on this line, which looks to me like it would suit humans of many shapes and sizes, and to my eye has some really exquisite cuts:

• geecee says:

My wallet is telling me to pretend I didn’t see this link, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to manage that. The short Georgia dress must be mine.

• Sharona says:

Their stuff looks so lovely, but their pricepoint is too high for me for returns only for store credit.

• kirstjen says:

They are getting my $ this month – that Georgia dress. I love it!

• Jen says:

Their stuff looks great but only hitting a size 16 isn’t really plus size. Hard to claim universality and body positivity if you are excluding even size 18 and 20, let alone larger sizes.

Says the extremely frustrated size 18….

7. Kristie says:

Drat! Pretty sure I just talked myself into a lovely blouse there. I see the problems inherent in your work 🙂

8. Tiffany Cain says:

Everyday when I think I couldn’t possibly love this blog more, you post something even more amazing. Thank you.

9. Jules says:

This really made my Friday! I have such a hard time finding clothes that are classic. Most plus size clothes look like they are made for teens or my grandma. You have just given me three new websites with dresses that look sophisticated. Thank you so much!!!!!!

10. joannawnyc says:

The big department stores (Neiman’s, Nordstrom and Saks in particular) have good plus-size selections online.I think in general plus-size brands are hit or miss in terms of fashionability, and often (to me) seem to be cut for a pear shape, which I am not. Also, I often find that in order to get a good fit, I would need to compromise on style.
    I would look at Tradlands for tops (although right now they are almost sold out of their larger sizes) and Elizabeth Suzann. A lot of indie designers have bigger sizes (though not “true” plus size), so that’s worth a look, put it’s not always easy to order.

Like others, I’m on the edge between straight and plus, it’s frustrating!

• Linden says:

Me, too. Something that fits me up top is often too boxy down below. A good seamstress is my ace in the hole.

Thanks for trying not to ghettoize!!! It isn’t your fault though if the plus size brands aren’t going to make sizes for everyone either – aren’t they doing the same thing? I don’t know that I buy this argument that it’s somehow “too hard” to do a full range of sizes, because it seems like men’s manufacturers manage, or at least to a much greater extent. It is not someone’s fault they are skinny, after all.

It makes me not want to buy from someone when I see that kind of thing. It really does. That sh*t is not accidental, imo. Though I could be wrong.

• Linden says:

Another thing that makes me want to not buy from someone is when they have a full range of sizes, but only carry the plus sizes online. It’s like they’re fine with taking the money as long as they don’t have to have any fatties in their stores.

• DeDe says:

Yeah, I dunno if I totally buy that excuse, either – I mean I know women present very different fit issues from men, but c’mon. If you’re making things up to a size 10, how much harder is it to make them in a size 12, or 14, etc.? It’s great that places like Universal Standard exist, but “plus size” shouldn’t even have to be a thing. I really wish all of these designers who are now claiming to be such champions of women would put their money where their mouths are and expand their their size ranges, and then instead of acting like it’s a big-ass favor, just advertize that fact by using larger models. A girl can dream, right?

12. Helene says:

Beautiful!! I am SO SICK of all those bone-thin models!

13. MariaO says:

LOVE that green cocoon dress – AND their smallest size is 10-12 (my size)! So very tempting . . .

• MariaO says:

I’m really excited that Universal Standard does those hard to find “bridge sizes” (10-12, 14-16) in such cool styles!

• MariaO says:

Ok, ordered the dress in green (not black! so daring of me).

Kim, thank you. Seriously, thanks, you feel like a good friend who is looking out for me. I appreciate it.

14. Heather Hanson says:

GOACS rejoice!!!! Love this.

15. Becca says:

Thanks for posting these! As hard as plus sizes are to find, this style is even harder. I love Universal Standard, and have to restrain myself from buying a 3rd Geneva dress almost daily. Here are some other plus size brands/outlets I recommend: Cover Story NYC, Shegul NY, Jibri, and Carmakoma. I also really like Monif C and Kiyonna.

16. marjorie says:

Thank you!!! Lots of props to you for being inclusive.

(And I like ManekiNeko’s GOAC coinage.)

🙂

17. marjorie says:

Huh, where’d my comment go? I just wanted to thank you for being inclusive! And I like ManekiNeko’s GOAC coinage very much.

🙂

18. Sharona says:

The comments for the plus size posts are as good as the posts themselves.

Thanks for the suggestions, you all.

19. kirstjen says:

Have you ever looked at http://www.Navabi.us ? They have a very wide variety of European plus size designers. Some of the stuff is awful, some awesome. When I’ve ordered, the quality has always been impressive & their customer service is perfection.

20. A says:

Thank you for this–and future posts to come. I read your blog religiously and am so excited to finally be able to shop clothes that you feature.

21. Donna says:

Chico’s and their other company, Soma, offer me style in large sizes. They offer sizes from very small to rather large.I can dress myself completely out of these two companies. I go to SAS for large shoes.

The eloquii printed maxi is SO cute! And I love the Shirtdress by Universal Standard.

Thanks, Kim, for choices!

23. KimH says:

MMLafleur is launching a extended sizes collection. It is a nice option for more traditional work clothes. https://mmlafleur.com/mdash/first-addition-mmlafleur-launches-extended-sizes

24. suz says:

These are all fantastic – and that is no small feat (in any size) as the decent dress options are pretty slim out there.

It is so heartening that SOMEONE is actually designing for women – no matter what size. I would wear most of these. This post makes me happy even though I don’t fit the sizes here.

• suz says:

Hell, I feel like petitioning Universal standard to make a smaller sizes line – their stuff is solid.

25. Maria says:

I’ve just booked my showroom appointment and noted this site as where I heard about the line. I can’t wait! I am treating myself for my birthday 🙂