Tuesday 21st November 2017

Things I bought, things I want

Amo Babe jeans—Things I bought, things I want

I am very much inclined toward lower-waisted jeans, but the wash on these, from Amo, is just so good, and the cut reminds me of something Cher might have worn in the 70s, which to my mind is also a plus. So I ordered them. The higher waist takes some getting used to, but they’re pretty flattering, and a nice change.

Clare V bag—Things I bought, things I want

I bought this cute straw bag for my mom for Mother’s Day. She only likes small, light bags, and it’s appealingly wee, but still big enough to be functional. And it has a nice long strap so she can wear it cross-body, as is her preference.

Ulla Johnson dress—Things I bought, things I want

I am such a sucker for Ulla Johnson this season: I have a problem with her prices—everything feels like it costs more than it should—and I have not yet succumbed to this dress, but I might: I love a good black floral, and the silhouette is ultra-feminine, but not at all prissy.

Kara bag—Things I bought, things I want

It doesn’t look like much here, but click through to see the picture with the model and you’ll see why I very much want this bag: it’s just kind of a perfect shape and size, and feels like it would become my everyday go-to.

Birkenstock Arizona sandals—Things I bought, things I want

Pink Birks, people. UPDATE: You guys just about sold them out on the Bird site; here they are on Zappos, also, alas, sold out in many sizes.

Posted on May 15th, 2017 23 Comments

1. Jen M says:

I hope the staff at Ulla Johnson pays attention! Like you, I love her designs. But you are right–they are very expensive for light beachy wear. Too expensive. I am always looking for good knockoffs. On rare occasions (3 to be exact) I have found acceptable facsimiles at Target (shocking!), Gap, and on the site Tysa.

Anyone else have suggestions? Actually that could be a great GOCA post!

• Dana D says:

For the good of the whole (and because competition can be fun), I will share that more than once, when Kim has profiled a particular piece with which I fall in love, I have clicked right over to my eBay account.

I have scored beautiful, barely worn (sometimes never worn) hand-me-downs with labels often mentioned here. It takes patience, practice and skill (no, I won’t find that exact Ulla piece,) but the reward is two-fold:

I have eliminated fast fashion from my life and I am able to wear clothing that I could/would never buy at full price.

• kay Erikson says:

I do this too! It took me a while, but I finally scored the Clare V Sac Bretelle in black, Isabel Marant Leather Jacket and the Chau cashmere/silk scarf. All for about 50% off retail. I just can’t pay full price anymore.

• suz says:

I do the same – plus it makes you really consider what you want

2. Katrina says:

I never bought anything as fast as I bought those Birks just now. They are going to be IMPOSSIBLE to find this summer!!

• Katrina says:

UPDATE: I ordered them from bed Monday morning, they were at my doorstep on Tuesday afternoon, and they are FABULOUS!

3. Rae says:

Oooh, these are all so good. Add a white button-down and I’d be packed for a weekend away. That little circle bag in particular is calling to me.

4. janet kelly says:

I’m not a fan of higher-waisted jeans but do like the look of these. Meanwhile, love those shoes with them. Where are they from?

Agree with Ulla Johnson comments and pro tip about eBay.

5. Amy says:

I love the circle straw bag. I may have to get it before I leave for Italy on Thursday. I also love Ulla Johnson and have pieces. Her price points are really too high. The pink Birks, I’m running to Bird today!

The wash on the AMO jeans is great, as well as the cut. Unfortunately for me, I can’t do a high waist since I have a rectangle waist, or banana, or whatever…
    I agree on the Ulla Johnson…adorable, but way too much for 100% polyester!

7. Hick from Styx says:

I love, love, love the high-waisted pants. Although I’ve said it many times before, I’ll say it again. For those of us with certainty body shapes, deprived for years

8. Hick from Styx says:

Love -!!!- the high-waisted pants. I have a long torso and a booty. This style is the only one to put my assets in the right light. I don’t feel strangled or squeezed or cut in half, and any bumps are smoothed and hidden. Should I stock up now before the ridiculous low-rise pants return for a decade? It really isn’t fun when ill-fitting, uncomplimentary pants are all that’s available for good chunks of an era. Please, manufacturers, realize that women come in all shapes and sizes, and our bodies don’t morph into the trend duos jour. All pants for all women, all the time!

Want those birks! (sighing heavily––not available in my size––argh)

10. Caroline says:

Ditto Ulla. Will love from afar for now.
    I have always been a low waisted jeans kinda girl.
    That said I have a few pairs of the high waisted ones I’ve been wearing the last few seasons,
    No where near as comfortable but its ok by me because, they hold me in in a good way.
    Yup, I’m vain. I need a little holding in at the moment😂

11. Elizabeth says:

Totally agree in Ulla. Dress is pretty, but more than $500 for polyester??!
    I don’t get her price point at all.

Love your picks and links!

12. DeDe says:

Ok, one thing I will say in Ulla’s defense, here: as someone who has experience doing various needle and fiber crafts from a very young age (and who grew up with a mother who could crocheted lace), I think the prices on her knitwear items or anything involving embroidery, beading or lacework are not bad. That stuff is expensive and time-consuming to make and the quality of the items I’ve seen up close is superb, if sometimes too delicate for daily wear (imho). I dunno what’s up with the prices on the poly stuff, though. No, seriously, what’s up with that?? (FWIW a lot of other designers are doing this too and it bugs the living crap outta me).

Also, check Nordstrom’s for those pink Birks – they have a good selection there!

13. y.k. says:

i love birks- as they say, it’s hard to wear anything else if you have them.
    also -kimfrance did you see intothegloss.com has an interview of Capucine?

14. Amy says:

Since Bird and Zappos was sold out, I searched and found them at Lord and Taylors.

15. M.E. says:

I am so excited to find this blog. So cool! I loved you with Lucky and it helped me when I started my own boutique. Years later, I’m also reinventing and feel like I’m in good company with your blog. You’re keeping me motivated to keep going with what’s next for me. XO, M.E.

16. Gilli says:

I actually bought this dress a few weeks ago for my kids high school graduation! I tried on so many dresses that were too sheer, too low, too tight or just too much effort! This one is so easy to wear and flattering , yes it is a big splurge and the fabric is strange that it’s polyester but it fit all the criteria!