Tuesday 21st November 2017

My favorite tee is being discontinued

Maureen Lewis, my dear friend who manages the Zero Maria Cornejo boutique in New York, is the person who clued me in to the wonders of the J. Crew Vintage Cotton Scoopneck T-Shirt, and it is she who just informed me that it is soon to be no more. A salesperson at J. Crew recently told her they’re phasing out the tee, and with decisions like that, I can see why they’re in trouble. Not all of you agree that this is the best tee of all time, but I love its lightweight-ness and its deep scoop neck, and am—if not bereft—then at least very, very irked. They were just running one of their 25% off deals (they’ve got another one going today), so I ordered four, in white.  I shall treat them like tiny gods so that they’ll last forever.

Posted on May 11th, 2017 34 Comments

1. C says:

I am quite devoted to the v-neck version of these. Just bought 4 as well at 12.25 each. Thanks for the tip!

2. Cola says:

I feel your pain. JCrew has gone and mucked up ALL its classic t-shirts. My fav was the vintage cotton crew neck. Now it’s the New Vintage crew neck with wonky sleeves – all shorter and winged out. The perfect fit t-shirt was also pretty great (kind of like a French t-shirt from the 70’s) and they messed with that one too. The sleeves are inexplicably longer – too long to be short and too short to be 3/4. And to discontinue the scoop neck? How could they? A pox upon their house! The new t-shirts get lousy reviews so maybe JCrew will realize the folly of its ways. As if!

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Shorter AND smaller! I was in a store yesterday and I was thinking, “Who shrunk the tees???”

A pox, indeed!!!

3. suz says:

I can’t say much good about J Crew and the thinness of their t’s, but I feel your pain. Flattering v neck t’s that are slim(ish) cut are an endangered species. The v or scoop needs to be low enough to be flattering dammit.

Banana Republic used to be my go-to and they did the same thing. Dumb business model to kill off a basic that women re-buy every damn year.

Honestly, a simple white t is not a lot to ask.

4. Betsy says:

I wish I had a nickel for every time a brand has done this. My favorite example is what Banana Republic did to the Sloan pant. Do these designers not remember New Coke?

• SBW says:

I agree with you about the Sloan pant! I bought several pairs of the original style and they are my go to work pant. I recently went and tried to get another pair and the fit is completely different and completely awful on me since I am not a stick figure.

• Kate says:

Yes! I love their curvy fit pants and they only carry one or two pairs a year now. I would buy all of them if they carried them.

WTF. Ordering. One of those tees that look great on just about everyone. Good grief. Thank you for the headz-up….

6. lesa says:

Wow, thanks for the heads-up…I’m not normally a devotee of J. Crew, but am always on the hunt for good white tee shirts, and so this was a timely recommendation. I just snapped up a couple in white and one in navy blue at this great price.

7. Laura says:

Just have to weigh in that all of my JCrew tshirts have tiny holes in them. Every one. I think it’s from my seatbelt rubbing against my jean button. However, I am in Peru and hiking with a jute backpack and now my tshirt has a hole where the strap hit my left shoulder. Maybe they will come up with a new shirt that doesn’t do this. Until then, I say good riddance.

8. Susanna says:

Kim, do you know if they’re discontinuing only the scoop neck, or the entire vintage tee line? I’m wondering if it’s the latter, because so many customers complain that the vintage tees get holes after one or two wears.

9. Debra says:

I was a fan of Target’s — that’s right — TARGET’s long-sleeve tissue tees. My god, I’ve had them for like 15 years and you almost cannot kill them. I’m talking washing the suckers like 3 times a week for 15 years (no holes)! About a year ago, I thought “well, they still look good but maybe I need back-ups.” To my complete and utter horror and sorrow, I learned that Target no long sold the tissue tees. I was ANGRY and then depressed. Saw MANY comments online from people who were sympatico. WHY, WHY, WHY do retailers kill off best-selling basics like these? WHY?

• Viajera says:

Just out of curiosity… which ones are these? Are they Mossimo or some other label? You probably won’t see this though, oops.

10. Adele says:

I love your blog, and I have purchased many things based on your recommendations. However, I have to disagree about the J. Crew vintage tees. They are just too thin; they are translucent. After three kids, my belly button is pretty visible when wearing see-through things. I stick the the J. Crew perfect tees – they have better coverage.

11. Heather says:

I like a brand called Active Basics. I used to get them at a little shop in Asheville, but then moved away from Asheville and have since found them on Amazon. I prefer a scoop neck, and they have them in both long and short sleeve. Would love a 3/4 sleeve version but so far, no go. I will say they are both cheap and cheaply made, so perhaps not for everyone, but I think of tshirts as something I mostly sleep in or wear under sweaters, or on the weekends to run errands, so my standards are not especially high.

12. Amy says:

Curious as to what size you get in these… Ready to order.

Thanks for the heads up, Kim! Ordered!!!

I’ve never understood why manufacturers change good things either.

15. joannawnyc says:

I bought some white ones and a couple of gray ones. I usually wait till August to stock up on t’s, but the threat of discontinuation (and a great price of $12.25/each) added impetus!

16. Darcy says:

Those are great tees, and I’m now learning to expect this from JCrew after they discontinued their Matchstick jeans which fit me absolutely perfectly. I was ready to wear only those for the next 5 years, and to buy them confidently in every shade without trying them on.

Someone pls tell these big brands that when they discontinue items shortly after the public has discovered them, they are jerking their customers around. They force us to go back to the beginning and start the complex search all over again. While running the home and the board room and planning family holidays and exercising 3x a week, like women time for this kind of thing.

Again, sorry you’ll be searching for a new favorite tee so soon. Duplicating efforts is the pits.

17. Comic Sansa says:

I love the vintage v-neck tanks (never been a fan of the others): I have some that date to 2013 at least (they might be older), and they are my summertime and layering staple. Never coddled them, washed them without care, and they still look great. I bought a new one a year or so ago and that one got a hole pretty quickly. So my request would be for J. Crew to bring back the circa 2013 versions! Actually, while we’re at it, can we just rewind to 2013?

18. Ann says:

hope these are awesome because I just ordered a bunch for the summer.

19. Kristie says:

I bought a couple of these after hearing you rave. And oh my gosh, so comfortable, so flattering — but the armpits dissolved after like a dozen wearings! I do not have corrosive armpits; I don’t stain clothes; I don’t sweat much, and I have thin arms and small breasts. That fabric just MELTED. Not worth the money per wear for me, alas.

20. Sarah says:

Have you tried the Madewell whisper cotton Ts? I really like them — they may be a bit boxier than J Crew’s, but they lay so nicely that it feels flattering. Had a couple for a year-ish, and they seem to wash well (and I have a toddler and don’t/can’t coddle my clothes).

21. Gables girl says:

I still love all my J Crew favorites–my yellow pencil skirt, boyfriend jacket and white corduroy jeans. I am not getting of any them, they are now vintage!

22. Kate says:

I used to covet all of the items at J. Crew. The boots, the blazers, the suits, the winter coat, the blazers, the flats, and the cashmere sweaters. My budget didn’t allow for much at that time. Now my budget is strong and now so much of their items are so small and inspired by a fevered dream Jenna Lyons had in a Brooklyn loft.

23. Valerie says:

I treat my black Jenna cardigan with the tenderness of a Fabrege egg. It ends beautifully right at the waist and has no weird balloony thing going on like all their current cardigans. I don’t know how I’ll ever replace it when it finally bites the dust. I really miss the old JCrew.

24. Kristie P says:

I’m curious if these shrink..if your putting them in the dryer? Seems to eventually happen by accident and would typically like to throw in dryer. I think I’m in between Large and medium, but get larges in case they shrink.

• KimFrance says:

I buy the large even though I’m a medium because I like them a little on the big side. They shrink maybe a tiny amount on first washing.

25. Laura says:

I’d be interested in hearing your take on the downfall of j.crew … fascinated by how a company go from the investors’ darling to multiple rounds of layoffs in what feels like a pretty short amount of time.

A decline in the quality of the pieces? Getting rid of customer favorites too soon? Prices out of whack? Some combination of all of those and more?