Wednesday 22nd November 2017

It’s the little things

Everlane silk cami—Its the little things

Whenever I show a sheer blouse, I catch hell for it in the comments, so I’ve started always mentioning, when I do show these tops, that they’d be good paired with camisoles, just so you don’t think I believe you should be traipsing around half-dressed. But I realize I’ve never shown you a decent cami. So here is a very nearly perfect one. It’s silk and double-lined, which is so luxe, and has no unnecessary lace or frou, just how I like.

Posted on April 28th, 2017 18 Comments

1. Tammy Madsen says:

I was browsing Everlane’s site last night and looking at those camis, I kid you not. Do they run true to size, Kim? Thanks, and have a fantastic weekend!

2. KimFrance says:

I suppose now I HAVE to order one & let you know!

I recently ordered and received Everlane’s square silk shirt. I’m small chested so ordered the 00 and it fits me perfectly (it isn’t fitted, but still…). Don’t know if that helps you size wise, Tammy.

Very tempted to order this cami!

• Tammy Madsen says:

Me, too. It’s simple but looks expensive. Sizing does help with your shirt. Would definitely want a cami to fit true to size. 🙂

4. Susanna says:

How do you suggest larger-chested women wear a cami like this? This looks like it works best without a bra, but that’s certainly not an option for me, and the straps of a bra would just look tacky under this, IMO (especially since the back of the cami is so low). A perpetual dilemma.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I think those of us that require a bra choose a similar, but strap-friendly cami. Not all things work for all people.

• joannawnyc says:

Yes, Different camis for different people! There are plenty of big-chested bloggers out there (and plenty of camis)

It can be tough to achieve the same aesthetic, but you can’t blame Kim for that. Well, I suppose you could decide you don’t have the same taste, but that’s on you, not her.

That said, it’s a really pretty cami! I find that Everlane mostly doesn’t cut for curvy girls like me though (sad face).

• suz says:

bra under, the strap thing doesn’t bug me. Just get a bra that coordinates.

I find it a minor miracle that a good camisole exists without that stupid fits no one shelf bra thingy.

5. DeDe says:

Kim! Thank you for this! The Sheerness just cannot be avoided lately, and I don’t know why (WHY, GOD?!), but camis are just impossible. It’s one of the great mysteries of life, along with Why Do Mosquitoes Even Exist and Where Did I Leave My Glasses?

• M.A. says:

I wonder every time I shop for light-colored tops. Why are they all so sheer? Has it always been this way or am I just old? Am I supposed to not care if my bra shows?

• Comic Sansa says:

I’m going with manufacturers are just cheap and using poor fabrics and not lining anything. (I have been one very grumpy shopper lately.) I recently came across a bunch of clothes from the late 00s, and even stuff like Banana Republic was lined, nicely sewn, and mostly cotton/silk. Now, it’s all polyester, not lined, and looks like it will fall apart after one wash.

In other words, we’re being sold a style (sheer) because our Capitalist Overlords are stingy and cutting corners wherever they can and convincing us we like it. (Did I mention I am very grumpy of late?)

• Darcy says:

You nailed it, Comic. And the clothing manufacturers are counting on the fact that as few as every five years, a new crop of clothing buyers comes along having never known that clothes were once not flimsy. They see the cheap versions as normal and therefore accept them.
          I did find a quality-focused and reliable casual brand however, American Giant. btw I don’t work for them in any way. The material and construction has integrity is all I’m saying. Check them out!

6. suz says:

Yay! I was searching for one and didn’t think of everlane.

I still want to smack the fashion industrial complex for the universal sheerness epidemic, but this helps immensely.

7. Thea says:

Kim, where can we spend our money if we (1) hate the cheapness and sheerness of all shirts and tops nowadays, (2) are not patient or determined shoppers, and (3) are not rich. I am too old for this nonsense. I am in my forties. Thank you for your generous expertise!

• Darcy says:

Try AmericanGiant.com for casual wear. Good stuff! Men’s too. They are not down with cheap nonsense .

8. Hick from Styx says:

Oh, good. I am not the only one experiencing the rash of universal (cheapness) sheerness in tops these days. Not just that, but tops are getting shorter, so I’m constantly pulling them down. And skirt and dress hemlines? Higher, ever higher. Sleeves have also gone the way of the dodo bird. Pants are above-ankle. For a taller person, this results in the shrunken-clothes Peewee look.

I get that manufacturers are all about cutting cost and maximizing profit, but soon I’ll have no choice but to sew my own.

9. Candy says:

The other nice thing about silk camis is they don’t cling and make you hot in the summer under those stupid too-sheer blouses, and in the winter they’re equally lovely under itchy sweaters for an extra layer of warmth. I love them, and stalk JCrew sale section for when I can save $ and add to my stash. Nice to know Everlane is another source.

10. Jozie says:

A cost effective choice is the cami by GapBody.