Friday 21st July 2017

Femme-y dresses you might like even if you are not too femme

Other Stories dress

As you know if you’re a regular reader, I’ve been thinking a lot about dresses lately, and this has led me to think about expanding my dress horizons to include something other than the same old black and vaguely sculptural thing I always go for. For summer I always throw in a print or two, but I’m otherwise stunningly predictable. I like the idea of something in the way of a more feminine dress, but I can’t get too far out of my comfort zone and still feel credibly like me. And what I like about all of the dresses I’ve chosen here is that they feel very femme, but at the same time are streamlined enough not to feel at all prissy or overly frilly. This wrap dress is an excellent case in point: totally wearable, totally sweet.

Chinti & Parker dress

And I adore how ladylike the cut of this dress is, but that any potential primness is undercut by a clever camo print.

Other Stories dress

Just exactly as many ruffles as I could take, with a sexy low neckline.

Ganni dress

I like the asymmetrical hemline here, and the bold green print. There is nothing like a really good green.

The Kooples dress

You know I love a black floral, and the daisy print here is to die. I also think it’s just a perfect silhouette. Truly feminine, but really clean too.

Zara dress

Just a very pretty floral at a quite nice price.

Veronica Beard dress

This is so sheer that it calls for either a very brave soul or a very precise slip, but it is just so pretty I had to include it.

Mango dress

I’m not quite sure what makes this polka dot dress work for me—I think the fact that it’s so nicely cut, with just a hint of flounce at the hem—but it does.

Ulla Johnson dress

I acquired this dress for my trip to Miami at the new Ulla Johnson store on Bleecker Street, and it was absolutely perfect: breezy, flattering, and eminently comfortable, even while riding back-seat on a Vespa.

Saloni dress

You know I love blue and black, so I couldn’t pass this up.

Minkpink dress

I think this just looks incredibly easy.

Ulla Johnson dress

There’s an ever-so-slight hippie-girl vibe here, but nicely elevated.

Posted on April 4th, 2017 17 Comments

1. Jen says:

I love the polka dot dress, but it has an open back! There are so many cute dresses that have been ruined by that trend. 🙁

2. Christine says:

Nice selection! Nothing like cotton voile for a Houston summer (which has already started, as you know).

A shout out to Suz who recommended LACAUSA for dresses the other day in one of your other postings. I ordered two dresses from them that are outstanding. Feminine, but super easy to wear. Both are going in my suitcase for a May wedding in Atlanta.

Love these choices as well, Kim.

Yep, Christine, summer in Austin so I definitely feel your need for lightweight cotton. Oy and Egad.

• Jen says:

Which LACAUSA dresses did you buy? Are they sheer? Some of their dresses look like you really need to layer them, curious to hear what they are like in real life.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

LACAUSA is on my radar now, too, c.w.!

Kim, in that Ulla Johnson, you should be on the Vespa riding through the countryside of Tuscany!

I think the unifying theme here is “Thrift shop hippie grandma”…(It’s a thing..,really.) And I love it. I’m sick of the same ol’ black sculptural, too. I have a wedding coming up and this is what I’m going for!
      (Apologies to Macklemore for paraphrasing)

I wear your grandma’s clothes (damn right)
      I look incredible (now come on man)
      I’m in this big ass coat (big ass coat)
      From that thrift shop down the road (let’s go)

4. Caroline says:

Ulla Johnson is to die.
    So pretty!

5. EW says:

awesome post — I ** have** been looking for a femme dress….I’m so ready for real spring these days

I so want that cammo dress…..

6. Alexa says:

Just punched in my numbers for the 6th dress. And the shoes they show with it. Thanks (?) Kim!

7. radiogrl1 says:

Seriously???? A 600 dollar summer dress? Oh my god, I give up. Who the hell pays $595.00 for a summer dress that is basically four seams and a couple of set-in sleeves?
    See, the thing is that I’ve worked my ass off to lose 45 pounds. I have 20 more to go and I want pretty clothes. These are pretty but simple and these prices are so depressing. And it isn’t that I couldn’t afford them. I just think it’s extortionate.
    I should have learned to sew.
    That said, I am addicted to your site. Carry on. <3

• Alexa says:

Hey, the one I went for was just under $70. Still not cheap, but better. Especially if I’d left off the shoes. D’oh!

• suz says:

It is really hard to find clothes worth buying. Though I can’t afford most of these, it’s nice to think the fashion industry is turning a corner on wearable clothing. It has been a long time since I have actually wanted anything, because most of it is unflattering crap.

We just have to wait for the trickle down into affordable

8. suz says:

These mini prints are very much like dresses I wore in the 90s! Hooray for flattering dresses. The green one is pretty perfect

9. Kathy says:

OK, missy. Upon whose Vespa were you riding in that fabulous dress?

10. joannawnyc says:

I had a cotton version of that Ulla Johnson dress back in the day! Classic.