Wednesday 22nd November 2017

Wardrobe classic: Cropped jeans

Some might argue that cropped jeans aren’t a wardrobe classic at all, but it is my belief that they are, or deserve to be: this time of year, they’re fun to wear with boots, and in a couple of months, they’ll look great with sandals. I’ve got short legs (actually, they may be perfectly in proportion, but all I’ve ever wanted were long legs, so I loathe this about myself) and I feel like they’re really leg-elongating if you’re up for wearing a big old clunky platform with them, which I always am. I like them best with a button-down half-tucked under a V-neck sweater this time of year, and something lighter and breezier later on. This Nili Lotan pair isn’t for everyone, but I think they’re rather fabulous.

I love a good grey jean and I love a good boyfriend jean—and not nearly enough cropped jeans are boyfriend-cut for my taste—so these are aces in my book.

And speaking of boyfriend cuts: I loathe white jeans worn tight, so I really appreciate these.

A nice pair of Levi’s, with a flattering high waist.

And another high-waisted pair, this one from Madewell, that I’ve had my eye on for some time.

I just really like the wash here.

Ditto here; so nice and dark, which is so hard to find.

I know R13s cost a fortune, but if you are in the mood for a splurge and they fit you right they really are worth it: I’ve got this pair, and it is probably one of the three pairs of jeans I wear the most, which is saying a great deal, because I have a lot of jeans.

Posted on March 31st, 2017 14 Comments

1. Tammy says:

R13 and Nila Lotan are so divine. WANT.

2. Caroline says:

I have those Levi’s.
    because I also do not have the longest legs I gave them a little trim.
    best thing about the raw hem. They’re great, and give a nice butt lift which I also appreciate!
    FYI, tight white jeans are a place I will never ever go.
    Not ever😂

The Nili Lotan pair scream Summer At The Beach to me and I’d wear them in a heartbeat.

I love all you have here––even the ones I know I can’t wear!

I have a pair of “snug” white jeans and I wear them with a long top and they look great, but I do understand the Mutton-for-Lamb concern that tight white jeans can suggest (which is why I wear them with a long top!). They are JBrand and also have some stretch so with a top covering belly and behind they are pretty darn comfortable.

4. y.k. says:

those dark Frame jeans are perfect.
    & i hate that high waisted jeans look so bad on me. i sense it has something to do with my lack of a waist.

5. Dana D says:

It’s not a look I love, unless on the longer side like the last two pair. There are probably many reasons, not the least of which is the styling the brands insist upon. Pump-type heels, with cropped jeans? Really? And I truly don’t understand the dirty white tennis shoe thing.

I’m sure all of you can rock yours. And Kim can style anything–so of course I appreciate the boot and platform/clog reference.

6. Ellie says:

Those look fabulous! Sadly most max out at a size 10, and none go over a size 12 :(.

7. Gables girl says:

What are your thoughts on ripped jeans on us mid-age gals? I think been there, done that but then they were actually ripped and not purchased that way.

8. suz says:

Cropped pants/jeans on a pear shaped person (long waist, shortish leg) actually balances proportions well – gives the illusion of longer legs by visually cropping /breaking up the leg line. Why my best friend looks great in them.

They are the opposite of leg lengthening on other body shapes.

None of my daughters wear cropped jeans! It drives me crazy. But when I wear them, I get the snarky, “Waiting for a flood?” comments! 🙂

10. Jancee says:

I, too, do not like tight white jeans. I just wandered into a Gap recently and came out with their midrise Best Girlfriend jeans, ending a yearlong quest.

11. MK says:

I have & love the Frame Crop Mini Boots in an ever so slightly different wash (basically the same dark wash, with tonal stitching) and I love them! They’re not quiiiite as cropped on me as on the model, though, so I may have them hemmed a bit soon.

J Brand is not a brand I’ve owned for years, but I love the look of those white jeans!