Friday 21st July 2017

Obsessing over quilts, again

I’ve been wanting a quilt in the worst way for the longest time now, and I’m not entirely sure what it’s about: they’re cozy and home-y, but traditional in a way that I’m not. So it’s unsurprising that the ones I’m drawn to are on the modern side mostly, and it turns out that Etsy is crawling with shops selling really cool contemporary specimens. I like this red-on-white number because it’s actually not too too far from traditional, but would not be out of place in my home, which is anything but.

I just really like the color palette here.

This would look so cool in my bedroom, which is all shades of black, white, and grey, that I might just have to pull the trigger. I love the subtle shards of color throughout.

And this is actually a baby quilt, and a rather pricey one at that, but boy is it gorgeous.

Another one I could easily imagine living with.

Posted on March 24th, 2017 10 Comments

1. DeDe says:

I actually used to quilt, back before I had fibro, and modern, improvisational, Gees Bend-inspired quilting is my favorite style, both to make and to own (though I also love antique, trippy-looking traditional quilts). They’re just so much more visually interesting to me, and a lot more fun to make. Pauline Boyd of Counterpane makes some truly gorgeous ones, but they are crazy expensive, though for very good reason!

2. Dallas says:

I love quilts, but I’ve come to accept that my dogs are not quilt compatible.

3. y.k. says:

o. i had not thought of looking in etsy for such quilts.
    see you in a few days.

My muther just gave me several of quilts my great-grandmother made (she was a teeny tiny woman, but everyone called her Biggie––Texas humor I suppose)––several of the quilts use fabric from dresses my muther wore as a child. They are all falling apart so I don’t use them, but I treasure them because of the stories––quilts tell stories.

5. themis says:

Thank you for this-! I make graduation quilts for my nieces and nephews, and the niece who is graduating this spring is an artist. Making a quilt for an artist is twice as intimidating. I think the one you’re seriously considering will provide the inspiration I’ve been looking for to help me get started on hers.

6. ritu says:

Kim, check out Gina Rockenwagner. Her quilts are glorious: http://www.ginarockenwagner.com.

7. suz says:

These are amazing. They really fall into the functional art category. I really hope you grabbed that grey/b/w jumbled one.

And good luck with the dogs – that ocd scratching thing is sort of hell on fancy bedding stuff.

8. Dana D says:

Lordy…I must slow my breathing…Kim I love the one you picked.

These are all amazing. Good luck with your project, themis, and ritu, thank you for that link.

I still love the handmade pieces from alabamachanin.com, and saw her amazing work up close at Heath in SF last year.

I dream about a quilt with old denim thrown in to the mix.

The red and white one fits perfectly in my dream to have what I call a “grandma room” for my grandkids to stay in when they come to visit me. I don’t know why, but this has just always seemed like the perfect cozy idea.
    Ditto on the quilts of Gees Bend, DeDe. I saw them on exhibit at the Milwaukee Art Museum and they were amazing!