Thursday 30th March 2017

Top 5 of the week

Hope trousers—top 5 of the week

The Seattle-based retailer Totokaelo (they also semi-recently opened a NYC store) specializes in pretty avant-garde offerings, but if you dig you can find a lot of solidly cool-but-not-too-cool items on the site as well. I found a few pieces worth coveting there the other day—some on the splurgy side—and thought I’d share. First up: I can’t say for sure, but I think maybe these could be a perfect trouser. I like the fit of Hope trousers in general, and this pair has a just-slouchy-enough cut that appeals.

Clergerie platforms—top 5 of the week

I dig a nice big clunky platform, and this one from Clergerie has some serious clunk.

Zero + Maria Cornejo top—Top 5 of the week

I own this Zero + Maria Cornejo top, and it is not cheap but so worth it: I usually dislike anything with a cold shoulder, but it’s done in such a drapey, feminine way here. I’ve worn it with everything from dressy skirts to jeans. An investment top, if you believe in such things.

Amo jeans—Top 5 of the week

A pair of dark jeans in a really good wash.

Mociun necklace—top 5 of the week

Such a delicate, pretty little diamond pendant.

Posted on March 15th, 2017 12 Comments

1. Dana D says:

I LOVE Totokaelo…

stopped in to the Seattle shop late last summer and found the Margiela pleated black dress of my dreams marked down…and it was still a splurge…

Their aesthetic is so very cool…love to look at the online pictures. And I’ve scored some great pieces at the end of the season, which is the only way I could do it.

• DeDe says:

Have you seen the reviews for them on Glassdoor? I actually stopped shopping there after reading some of those a few years ago (which was also around the time they got crazy freaking expensive, coincidentally). Hopefully things will improve now that Jill’s out of the picture, but if even a small part of what her former employees are saying is true, she’s lucky she *only* had to sell the business.

• DeDe says:

(Not saying you can’t love their aesthetic of course, but finding out what was possibly/probably going on behind the scenes there really soured me on them, personally.)

• Dana D says:

Ick…didn’t know this, DeDe…

Not on facebook so don’t have access to that site, Glassdoor, but I’ll take your word for it. I’m always interested to know when fashion is unethical.

Again, just because something is high-priced, doesn’t mean that it is without conflict.

SO many choices to make these days, about how and why and where to spend our fashion dollars…

• DeDe says:

Oh that’s weird – I’m not on Facebook either and I could read the first page of reviews with no problem a few days ago, but now I’m getting the Facebook sign in thing. Huh. I thought I could get you a link that would work, but no dice I guess!

Yeah, it’s pretty atrocious stuff – rampant emotional abuse of employees (including micromanaging aspects of their personal lives), forced overtime with no pay, witholding paychecks, constantly changing goals and policies no one could follow, racist and sexist comments, refusing to pay vendors, cheating on taxes, “extreme narcissism” – she honestly sounds like Agent Orange. One of the initial bad reviews I read claimed she actually wore clothes that were for sale out and around Seattle and then put them back on the racks. This is the sort of garbage I expect from a retailer like Amazon; I expected better from a high-end boutique with the sort of mission Totokaelo had. I hated knowing that the lovely, helpful people who went out of their way for me when I shopped online were being humiliated, lied to, and scapegoated on a daily basis. Hopefully things will turn around under the new ownership (it’s the company that owns Need Supply).

• KimFrance says:

Wow. I didn’t know any of this.

• Dana D says:

Yes, nor did I.

And may I just say again that I really appreciate you allowing us to help and educate each other in this space.

You’ve posted about the Totokaelo store and I remember being attracted to a number of things on their site at that time. I allowed myself another look this morning and, oh man, I’m having serious clothing/shoe lust. (with the exception of the goat hair vest which imho is gross). Thankfully, much of what they offer is so far out of my price range I’m not tempted to spend. Whew!

3. MariaO says:

More love for the Totokaelo store here!

I visited the Seattle store last spring with my sister and picked up a cool Zero + Maria Cornejo dress (on sale!), and we had the best time trying on things and admiring the cool designs.

Also, I wanted to add, my sister was at the time plus sized, and I’m a solid 10, and the sales woman was super cool, super helpful, and fun. A lot of time boutiques are pretty unfriendly to the non-small, they were lovely and I wanted to give them a shout-out!

4. joannawnyc says:

Love Mociun jewelry!

I sadly had a really negative experience with their customer service around Christmas (When was all of this stuff going down?!?). They lost my item (Which was a present for me from my mom) by sending it to the wrong customer. It was sold out and so I couldn’t re-order. I had a HELL of a time getting any response at all from them. And ultimately, I just said forget it because they didn’t do anything to attempt to make it right. I’d have to be convinced to shop with them again!

• DeDe says:

I think Jill left in October (I actually just found out about that part of it over the weekend!), and it looks like all the oldtimers there had split awhile beforehand. Maybe it was growing pains, or maybe the company that owns Need Supply also stinks? Either way, that totally (toto-lly?) sucks!!