Sunday 28th May 2017

In search of the elusive perfect travel bag

Clare V gosee tote—In search of the perfect travel bag

I love all goods having to do with travel, which is why—even though I have more than one suitable option in my closet—I can’t help looking for new and exciting versions of the travel bag. You know the kind I’m talking about—the one you carry on with you, that’s bigger than your normal handbag and that can accommodate your laptop and magazines and whatever other junk you pick up along the way. Usually these bags are totes, but they don’t have to be: I own this bag, and it’s the perfect combination of a handbag and a tote, much slouchier (and cuter) than it appears here, and it comes with a shoulder strap too. It comes off smaller somehow than it is—a plus in my book—but manages to easily fit a laptop.

Oliveve tote—In search of the perfect travel bag

This is so rich in the navy, and really roomy.

Everlane tote—In search of the perfect travel bag

Here’s one that’s pretty good-looking for just under $50.

Steven Alan tote—In search of the perfect travel bag

I like that this comes with a nifty little zip pouch, and that the shape is adjustable.

Mango tote—in search of the perfect travel bag

And here’s another insanely good buy that looks more expensive than it is.

Steven Alan drawstring bag—in search of the perfect travel bag

The bucket bag vibe here is fun.

baggu tote—in search of the perfect travel bag

And this cobalt leather tote from Baggu is just the best.

Posted on March 13th, 2017 11 Comments

1. Jeanne says:

Love travel posts! I use the Dagne Dover tote line. It’s an organizational wonder with pockets for everything, including separate sleeves for both a laptop and a tablet! Very well thought out. Plus it zips up on top which I find useful.

2. Jeanne says:

Love the travel posts! I use a Dagne Dover tote. It’s an organizational wonder with internal pockets for everything, including separate sleeves for both a laptop and a tablet. It also has a zip top which I appreciate for security.

3. Wendela says:

Do you know about Lo & Sons? They have travel bags and totes that are both beautiful and functional. That’s what I’ve been coveting for a while now.

• Jeanne says:

I’ve had my eye on the Saffiano Pearl for ages!! I need to figure out why haven’t I bought it already!

• Emma says:

Came here to say this too! I have the O.M.G. (overnight medium gym) bag and it is truly a fabulous item. It’s impossible to get disorganized. It’s got just the right amount of structure and it looks very polished as well, I’m always getting compliments on it!

• Dana D says:

Hey all…

I have the O.G. and I love it. It fits on top of my Lipault trolley when I’m wheeling through the airport.

Highly recommend their bags.

4. Jen says:

I am also obsessed with finding the perfect travel bag (even though I really don’t travel all that much ;-)) so love seeing these posts and fantasizing!

This is a chicken/egg situation for me: Which comes first? The tote, or the hankering for travel?

6. JL says:

I love MZ Wallace for travel– I carry my Kate if I need to be organized, since it has tons of pockets. If I just need something big, I’ll grab my large Sutton, which packs down to almost nothing. Their bags are lightweight but still stylish and incredibly durable.

7. My travel totes have a few requirements: 1) must have a zip closure, so nothing falls out when I put it under my seat on a plane. 2) it’s typically a darker color so I don’t have to worry about stains. 3) and it needs a pocket so I can easily grab my phone. My current fave is a cobalt blue nylon tote from Michael Kors. (With a matching wallet, of course.)

8. Lesa Christenson says:

Love to travel, but hate how HEAVY my carry-on bag became after adding laptop, magazines, etc. The answer: Samsonite Large Wheeled Underseater. Nearly perfect, reasonably priced and no more aching shoulder! I bought one for all my family and friends last Xmas. Lesa