Tuesday 21st November 2017

My favorite minis

Portrait of a Lady perfume—my favorite minis

I haven’t checked a suitcase in ages; even a couple of years ago when I went to Central America for two weeks, I managed to fit everything I needed into one carry-on. So I’ve gotten pretty adept at locating some truly quality mini-size toiletries, and—continuing on the travel theme of late—thought I’d share my favorites.  First up: my favorite perfume, Frederic Malle’s Portrait of a Lady, comes in this nifty diminutive spray-bottle. You can even buy this cool case to put it in.

Davines Oi Oil—My favorite minis

I’ve written about Davines Oi Oil before: I love it immensely. You put it on after you blow-dry but before you style your hair and it gets rid of frizz and smooths brilliantly.

Davines All in One Milk—my favorite minis

My other Davines miracle product:  All in One Milk, which you apply when your hair is wet. I think my hair has actually changed since I started using this product: it’s so much more manageable, tangle-free and shiny.

Mitchum antiperspirant—my favorite minis

I sweat a lot. And I hate scented antiperspirants. So I use Mitchum for men, which helpfully comes in mini sizes. I order them in bulk so I always have one to pop in the suitcase.

ExfoliKate—my favorite minis

For reasons that are not entirely rational, I only exfoliate when I travel: I feel like airplanes are really tough on the pores, and am always in the mood for a deep-cleaning when I get off of one. So I bring along an itsy tube of ExfoliKate, which is really powerful and leaves my skin feeling super-fresh and soft.

Posted on March 13th, 2017 6 Comments

1. DeDe says:

Oooh, thanks for the Mitchum tip. I am also terribly sweaty and am needing to switch to a (ideally fragrance-free, but unscented is a good start) deodorant since I was just diagnosed with a fragrance allergy. If you ever come across fragrance-free hair products that work as well as the Davines ones, please let me know *insert cryface emoji*

• Natalie says:

I’m nearly the opposite: while I, too, sweat like Pat Rafter playing a five setter in a 40 degree day at the Aus Open, I LOVE scented deodorants. So much so that whenever I visit the US I always come back with three or four in those crazy flavours we just can’t buy here (Summer Berries! Coconut! Crisp Pear! Tropical Paradise Something!)

Also I love Longchamp bags for travel, they’re perfectly sized and fold up. I also have a leather version and the best part is it zips all the way closed.

2. Kimberly says:

I would love to know what bag you use to fit everything. I’m going to San Francisco for vacation with my husband for a week in June and was wondering if I could get everything in a carry on……

3. Mimi says:

More thanks for the Mitchum recommendation. I’ve been meaning to get a scent-free deodorant, because after exercise I can tell that the pits of my tops smell of something, but I don’t know whether it’s my excretions or my deodorant. I’ll buy the full size, though.

I’m also a charter member of the “Always Sweaty” club. Isn’t that part of being a GOACA? 😉

5. Elizabeth says:

Another great travel item – We survive 26 hour trips tp visit my husband’s family (multiple transfers, waits in airports, etc. and there are just no direct flights) every year or so and I think we’d lose it without Lush’s Eau Roma Water. They have the regular spray size but also one that is smaller and TSA compliant. Very light, natural scent. I first bought it just thinking it would be nice for freshening up but we both use it throughout the travel ordeal each way because it not only does that but also seems to be very soothing to this OMG-I-swear-the-airplane-interior-is-getting-smaller fearful flier. Highly recommended. 🙂