Thursday 30th March 2017

We now turn our attention to jewelry storage

It’s a problem as old as time: how to store your jewelry so that it all doesn’t end up one tangled and confused mess. I’ve always thought a box would be nice, and you couldn’t beat this hot pink number.

I also like this less pricey mirrored option from Crate & Barrel.

I currently organize my jewelry on a cluster of John Derian plates on top of my dresser.

And I like this sweet little ring dish.

This is the most stylish jewelry tree I’ve ever seen.

And this just looks like it would blend into the surroundings nicely. Plus, it’s super-cheap.

Posted on March 8th, 2017 24 Comments

1. DeDe says:

I was literally thinking to myself last night that I need a better jewerly storage situation, so this is exceedingly timely. I especially like that the last option isn’t designed to look like a dorky little tree, which is all I can seem to find around here.

• DeDe says:

Whoops! I somehow missed the silver tree option when I looked at this post originally, yikes. However, that is probably the least-dorky jewelry tree I’ve seen, if that helps? I’m going to shut up now.

The ring dish is to die for. Gorgeous.

3. lesa says:

Call me paranoid, but having been burgled a couple of times in my life, my main problem with a storage option that involves dishes or some other form of display is that it provides such a convenient one-stop shop for potential thieves. I have finally settled on a rotational system that has about 3/4 of my (non-costume) jewelry locked away, and the 1/4 that is in current rotation kept in a drawer. In both locations, I rely heavily on scads of those teeny little plastic ziplock bags, which have basically solved the tangled nightmare that used to be my necklace collection.

• Darcy says:

^ Ditto! Wow, I do the exact same thing, ziplocks and all. What’s needed is an in-drawer or on-shelf organizer. Nothing on display please! Also, those stands and dishes above look lovely when they are empty….fill them with jewelry and suddenly they’re junky looking plus things still get tangled up.

• Viajera says:

I’m so sorry!! I’ve never been burgled… though we joke that if we ever were, they’d leave the computer (like in that silly commercial).

My issue is more about finding an empty space to put a ring dish in. (I’m working on it all.)

I am that way with knives. I prefer they be put away.

4. mlinky says:

Much too small for me (minor jewelry addiction). I use stackable trays in drawers.

5. Mary Alice says:

I stuck a clear plastic thingy on the back of my closet door (like this https://www.amazon.com/Necklace-Hanger/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_8063195011?ie=UTF8&node=8063195011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Necklace+Hanger)
    Then I took a 5×7 picture frame, glued a cut-to-fit piece of screen on the back, and hang my earrings on the screen.Looks pretty too!

6. Anne says:

After trying a series of:

boxes – couldn’t ever find what I wanted
    trees/stands/trays – cats, need I say more

I finally landed on a Bisley 10 drawer collection cabinet with inserts. Not only can I find what I’m looking for, but there are a few ‘extra’ drawers for things that I want to keep somewhat hidden from others in the house like my stash of Muji pens and pencils. Bonus, the cats haven’t figured out how to open those drawers, yet.

• Rebecca says:

I was so excited to come here and blow everyone’s mind with this same statement—but you beat me to it! The inserts are key, and the Bisley color selection is super fun. Great minds and all that…

7. suz says:

I have a series of boxes and a pretty tray or two that hold things I wear all the time….but I still never wear most of what I have as I can’t access it. Am thinking of a Stackers jewelry box/trays and probably a hanging hooks system for the necklaces so I actually see them.

• JL says:

I have a Stackers (the largest one, obviously) and I LOVE it. I have the lidded section for all my earrings and rings, a divided section for my bracelets/watches, and a large open one with cheap inserts from Amazon for my necklaces. I have a 4th section, which I no longer use, and that is exactly why I love it– flexibility. I only wish I’d ordered directly from the company, rather than from Container Store– much better color options!
      The real stuff is in a safe in my closet– a cleaning service decided to relieve me of some of my nicer pieces, including my grandmother’s ring, when I had hidden them in a box in a dresser drawer, so now that is the only way I feel comfortable.
      Love the idea of open dishes/stands, but also: cats. So, closed storage it is.

• suz says:

My best friend has the same cat issue 🙂 So, stackers it is! I will finally pull the trigger on that, thanks for the yes vote.

I never wear my valuable stuff so it’s quite well hidden – if they can find it, hats off to them ,I suppose. I am so sorry you lost family pieces – that is truly awful. A friend had a similar theft and it seems boxes in dressers are the thing they actually look for.

8. Wendela says:

Hey, great topic. To the person above who uses mini ziplock bags: how do you get necklaces in those without them tangling?? I think this would work well for me (containing all the little bags in a nice wood box), but I can’t figure out how you deal with necklaces in such a system. I think it’ll otherwise be great because it prevents tarnishing and makes it easy to find things. Thanks! And agree that the ring bowl is super sweet–I may need exactly that!

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Wendela, you put most of the necklace in the baggie and then close the ziplock with just the top inch or so of the necklace closure sticking out. Ta da! No more tangles!

9. Emma says:

I used to use a lot of display-type options, but recently realized how easily all my silver pieces tarnished! My mom told me that it can really dull lots of different types of jewelry to be constantly exposed to dust, light, and chemicals (like hairspray, perfume, room spray, etc). I love my jewelry boxes, and I keep a couple of dishes on my nightstand for the few pieces that I only ever take off to sleep–if it’s not in constant, daily rotation, it lives in the box!
    Also, am I the only one who finds it incredibly calming and satisfying to untangle necklace chains? I don’t know why, it soothes me.

10. Liz says:

The container store and Anthropologie have stylish solutions.

11. marjorie says:

Ooh, the Bisley option is awesome. And I am full of longing for the Crate & Barrel option, and the ring dish is swoonworthy. Alas, I have an evil cat (and one virtuous cat who is not relevant here) who deliberately pushes everything off my dresser and delicately picks up necklaces in her teeth if I leave them out, and carries them around until they catch on something and break. Good thing she’s cute. Those beautiful John Derian plates would be a shattered heap on my floor. I currently use a big old-fashioned black pebbled leather case, but it is charm-free.

12. Kathy says:

I have something similar to this:
    I love it! When it’s closed it just looks like a full-length mirror. It doesn’t scream “jewelry in here!” to burglars. Also, mine has a little skeleton key lock which is great for keeping little kids’ mitts off your baubles.

I’d love to be able to do cute plates but literally EVERYTHING in Montauk gets tainted by humidity in the summer! Tarnish and mold are the result. (I know, feel so sorry for me…”living by the ocean problems”)

I’m late to the party, but I use clear plastic drawer inserts from the Container Store that have white textured rubber on the inside and rubber on the bottom of the outside. They fit easily into a drawer (I use my nightstand drawer), keep everything separate (the inserts come in a variety of sizes) and don’t slide in the drawer because of the rubber on the bottom. “Good stuff” (which is a total of one ring and one bracelet) goes in the lock box I keep in my closet with my passport and other items of importance.

15. Barbara says:

I am forever in search of a good travel option for my jewelry. I don’t cart around a lot, but it always seems to get mangled/tangled. Thoughts?