Wednesday 26th July 2017

GOACA home basics: Plates

Le Creuset plate—GOACA home basics: plates

I’m still dining off the plates I got as part of my wedding registry over a decade and a half ago, and occasionally it bothers me that these relics of a failed marriage are part of my everyday life, and I’ll think about replacing the whole set. So far, I’ve had a hard time justifying the expense—they’re perfectly lovely plates, and their provenance is hardly their fault. Still, I’d love some of these bright, sturdy specimens from Le Creuset, just for starters.

CB2 plates—GOACA Home basics: plates

Or I could go super-cheap and buy this set of cool rimmed plates from CB2—just under $50 for eight of them.

Bernardaud plate—GOACA home basics: plates

Conversely I could go all-out splurgy and buy just a couple of plates in this rather gorgeous pattern.

Another splurgetastic option, this one from Missoni.

Heath Ceramics plate: GOACA home basics: plates

I actually do own a couple of these, from Heath Ceramics—they’re super-solid and really big.

Pottery Barn plate—GOACA home basics: plates

Such a nice grey, and really inexpensive.

Nikko Ceramics plate—GOACA home basics: plates

This is just quite graphically appealing.

Target plate—GOACA home basics: plates

I like the detailing here, and it’s another great buy.

Posted on March 2nd, 2017 26 Comments

1. Heather says:

Kim, I think you deserve a new set of plates! 🙂
    If your old ones are in good condition they might make for a nice donation to Housing Works or similar.

After my last divorce I found myself in the same predicament. I ended up giving all my dishes to someone who had admired them and I bought a plain white set from Crate and Barrel to replace them. Although I couldn’t say it was the best decision financially, it more than made up for any financial loss by being such a HUGELY positive decision emotionally––both in the getting rid of and in the giving. I like Heather’s idea of giving to a charity––such a positive spin.

I love those Nikko plates!

3. Kimberly says:

I have those Crate and Barrel plates and I love them! They stack so nice in the cabinet!

4. Trish says:

Definitely get new plates – I’m a big believer in things having sort of a human energy attached to them. You’re writing a book, starting a new chapter (ha!) so celebrate by clearing out the things that attach you to a past you don’t want to be reminded of on the daily. I too got new dishes recently – my tip is to buy one and use it to see if it works for your lifestyle first. I bought a whole set and had to return it (major pain) because the plates didn’t fit in my dishwasher! Also, the bowls got incredibly hot in the microwave. P.S. My sister in law, who who was divorced more than 15 years ago (the marriage lasted a year), still wears her engagement ring, albeit on her right hand. She claims she simply loves the ring. However, she hasn’t had a successful relationship since then……I always thought it was weird and now I believe she’s just setting herself up for failure by not removing reminders of a negative past.

5. Ruth Harris says:

For everyday, we alternate between Wedgwood’s now d’c elegant & restrained Drabware and Bennington Pottery, also elegant but hearty and never chips! http://www.benningtonpotters.com

6. DeDe says:

Dude. Just get rid of those plates already. I mean, it’s time, right? What with the book and all? Get yourself some nice, workhorse plates for every day and a few of the splurgetastic ones for special times. Or maybe just start with the splurgies, because honestly, life *is* a special occasion.

7. Dana D says:

Heath.

Purchase a couple at a time and mix and match colors…

8. KimFrance says:

Thank you all for empowering me to get rid of my plates! I love you for it!

9. LeighTX says:

I agree with the others–sell them at a consignment shop or give them to charity, and treat yourself! I’m still married to the Original Husband but we sold our wedding china and our “everyday” plates about ten years ago–they were just so dated, the china might as well have had “1991” printed on them. Now we use my grandmother’s Currier & Ives plates most days and her china for special occasions.

10. jpete says:

Although all these plates are lovely in their own right, perhaps think about how your food will look on them. Some dish colors really enhance the look of most foods (white and blue are pretty reliable that way). Some make the food look terrible, or the food detracts from the beauty of the dish. Of course, I may overthink these things…

11. mshaggs says:

Get rid of the old plates, buy a set of the CB2 plates and a few fancy ones!

I also like things that don’t heat unduly in the microwave… but maybe you are a non-microwave person so it may not matter.

I think jpete makes a good point… but it really depends what *you* like. And if you’re not sure, just get a bunch of different ones and experiment.

I don’t see why you should keep anything that makes you think you “failed.” It is such a mean word and I very much doubt anyone who knows you well would think it even applied. I think looking back can be good, whereas dwelling can be not good… only don’t ask me the difference. Maybe keep something to remind you of good things instead?

• Viajera says:

No one asked… but the way I think about divorce is this — it beats hiring a hit man. And, I admire people’s courage for putting a bet on the table, and going into the deep water (to mix metaphors).

13. Mae says:

Nothing looks better to me than blue-on-white plates (I’ve never gotten tired of Dansk Indigo after thirty-plus years). Get those Nikko ones and you’ll love them forever, I promise.

14. Rebecca says:

I am a Heath loyalist, so I will tell you that they go to 20% off around Thanksgiving, and they do a discount during the summer where they’ll accept donations of old dinnerware for Skid Row Housing Trust, and then you will get 20% (25%?) towards purchases of Heath.

15. Zoe Arcidiacono says:

I love my heath plates (even the ones I got as wedding gifts from my failed marriage) and vintage Stangl ware – I swear they go together. However, I agree with what everyone is saying here. Things that bring up bad memories have bad juju. I think it’s good to get rid of the old to make room for new memories. I’ll be doing the same.

16. Lynne says:

I have some b&w fiesta plates from my first marriage. I love fiesta ware and have since collected a bunch of colors that I use daily. I don’t think anything beats fiesta ware for the price point and the great colors and classic style. You can mix and match all the colors, or just do a few or whatever you want. They are sturdy and can go in the microwave. I look at other plates, but I always come back to fiesta ware.

17. Kate says:

Replacing things you associate with a past relationship is such a joy — you won’t regret it. Personally I would go for Heath!

18. Nina says:

The CB2 ones, while porcelain, look a lot like these melamine ones from MoMa: https://store.moma.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay_Stackable-Dinnerware_10451_10001_48914_-1_26669_26673_47576 And they’re made in the USA, not China… It says they’re microwave-safe, but I have put melamine items in the microwave and regretted it.

19. Amy says:

I have recently found myself wondering why I, too, have held on to remnants of my failed marriage. Sold a few more valuable things on eBay, donated some others, and am mentally lighter for it. Treat. Yo. Self. and get some new plates!

20. Bailie says:

I usually use my great grandmother’s Desert Rose dishes but we are moving overseas so we had to pack up all of our stuff for shipping so for the mean time my husband bought some cheap grey ones and I have to say they are making me so much happier than I thought they would!
    Eating should make you happy and if the plate you are eating from is not making you happy then get new ones!!

21. S. says:

Sounds to me like a really great excuse to scour some cool antique / vintage shops, maybe find something mid-century and funky (and hopefully sans lead…).

22. Raina says:

Oh, Honey, toss that bad juju! Or, better yet, donate them to a local charity that helps domestic violence survivors start over.

23. suz says:

Agree with everyone – bad juju out!

My 2 cents – get multicolored fiestaware. Goes with anything, classic clean design, and the rainbow effect even in a sink of dirty dishes is immensely happy making. Also, they are pretty indestructible and I drop things like crazy.

Reasonably priced and made in the USA too.

24. Nancy says:

If you want some crazy good fun check out Calamityware!