Tuesday 21st November 2017

Fiorucci is back! And selling out fast!

When I was a teenager from Texas visiting New York in the 70s and early 80s, there was no more glamorous place on earth to me than Fiorucci, which was nicknamed “The daytime Studio 54,” and had the coolest and most intimidating sales staff, who were outmatched only by the incredibly stylish customers. Whenever I was in town, I would visit there every day, buying the safest thing—a pair of jeans—but browsing the multicolored cowboy boots and bright plastic belts. And, of course, I had a tee with the Fiorucci cherubs on it, which I have many times kicked myself for getting rid of. Fiorucci has relaunched several times over the years rather tepidly, but this time it looks like they’re doing it right, focusing on jeans and those excellent cherubs. Of course I had to buy the tee. I am posting this on a Saturday because I just found out about it and the good stuff is going fast—this sweatshirt is only left in extra small, which is such a drag—so hop to it!

I also like the look of these jeans.

And this pencil skirt is rather smart.

Posted on February 11th, 2017 20 Comments

1. Ramona Black says:

I bought neon rubber bracelets there in 1984. And giant nested triangle silver earrings. I still have the earrinngs. Fiorucci was the coolest.

2. Jamie says:

Shirts are all sold out. Dammit, I didn’t click on GOACA fast enough today!

3. Stella says:

I have a jean jacket with the cherubs on the back from late 80s … time to break it out I guess

4. Julia says:

They opened a huuuge store on Broadway a little north of Houston like 10-15 years ago. It didn’t last long–maybe just wasn’t the right moment or the nostalgia didn’t translate then or something. It was a fun space though while it lasted.

5. DeDe says:

A Saturday post?! You like us! You really like us! (Trying to imagine Sally Field in Fiorucci. Can’t.)

6. Heather says:

Oh man, that is THE PERFECT denim pencil skirt and the remaining size (29) would probably work for me… but I can’t do $210 right now. Bummer.

7. Jacqui says:

In my late teens I owned the most perfect pair of jeans from them – cut from tweed of all things and what a perfect cut they were – I felt so glamorous every time I put them on!

8. Trixie says:

I used to get bright blue and mascara there in the 80’s. Sigh…

9. Trixie says:

Sorry, bright blue and bright purple mascara

10. suz says:

I never got the guts up to go inside – way too intimidating to a teen. Loved it from afar though. Hell yeah.

Love the tee

11. Nancy McKeon says:

oh man, you’re bringing back memories! i vaguely remember buying a couple of things but basically lacked the nerve.

12. Andrea says:

Bay Area gals: I just called Barneys in SF and they have not gotten them in yet. The salesgirl said she’d call me when they arrived! I wandered through once in 7th grade but didn’t have the funds to buy anything. My classmates would get these awesome glittery star hair clips.

• Tracy says:

I was just at Barney’s SF and bought the sweatshirt! I got the small (it runs a bit big), and there was an XS and Med when I left…

13. Bonnie says:

Oh I used to love walking through there. Never felt so cool – or shop-brave! Definitely intimidating!Wish I still had the jeans!

14. y.k. says:

right after i moved in to my freshman college dorm room in nyc i went to fiorucci & bought stationery (i wanted everything but could only settle on paper), the clerk gave me 2free posters when i paid ( they went up on the wall next to my bed of course), then i went to Serendipity a few blocks away & had an iced hot chocolate at a table next to Brooke Shields. a perfect day in 1981.

15. Pamb says:

I’m from Chicago, where we had a TWO STORY Fiorucci store in Water Tower Place. We used to go and browse on the weekend. If I’m correct, I bought teeny tiny Hello Kitty pencils and stickers there (we’re talking 7th-8th grade).

In early 80s Acapulco, the two stores you HAD to shop at on vacation were Aca Joe (standing in line before the store opened! Somewhere there are pictures of my mother and I digging through cartons because the staff couldn’t unpack as fast as we were buying) and Fiorucci. I think my mother still may have a t shirt left, I will have to check next time I’m home…

16. Gables girl says:

I loved Fiorucci and it was my first stop my first time in NYC. I was 14 years old. I wonder if we were there the same time?