Archive for January, 2017
- Oh, this is a sad one. Rest in Peace, Mary Tyler Moore. You truly brought me so much joy. (NY Times)
- And here we have the 12 best episodes of the Mary Tyler Moore Show. (Vulture)
- This bit with Stephen Colbert and Billy Eichner is clever. (Time)
- A recent study has concluded that even the lightest exercise can make you happier. (The Science of Us)
- Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein share their favorite high school albums. (A.V. Club)
I popped in to the sale at Madewell the other day, and am so glad I did. I picked up this flannel shirt and it is just perfect: it has that perfectly-beaten-in, been-hanging-in-my-closet-for-years vibe right off the rack.
I didn’t buy this velvet blazer but am strongly considering it—there’s something so cooly elegant about it.
Just a big old huggy cardigan, of which a person can never have too many.
I believe in filling life with nice little design moments, and that extends to my choice in mugs: I own a motley assortment—no more than two match, but they are rich in color and pattern, and lately I’ve been looking to expand my collection. First up: I own several bowls by Tokyo Design Studio, and quite like their bright take on cups as well.
The blue-on-blue is cool, and I like the slightly midcentury feel here.
A very excellent—and quite splurgy—option from Missoni.
Love these squished-together dots from Marimekko.
Just a really good red, and an interestingly sculptural handle.
And finally, who can resist this little bit of cuteness from Le Creuset?
- 25 fun facts about Breaking Bad.
- This rundown of the biggest snubs and surprises of the 2017 Oscar nominations is illuminating. (Vulture)
- This Dutch TV show’s parody of the inaugural speech is pretty clever. (Time)
- What do you think of the bubble hotel? (Atlas Obscura)
- Somehow, this does not shock. (Jezebel)
As I mentioned briefly last week, I have very much been feeling hoodies again, for the first time in about a decade. I used to wear them all the time—to toughen up jackets and coats that might otherwise come off too ladylike, but these days my wardrobe is more streamlined, and coats and jackets I’m wearing them under are too. This first option is quite chic in army green.
And the shirttail hem here appeals, as does the fact that the material is quite thin, making it good for layering.
A quite luxe choice in cashmere.
A nice classic grey zip-up style.
And finally: you can’t beat a solid, heavy-duty Champion model.
- I loved this rundown of secret spaces—like this ballroom in a busy Australian train station, or the tennis courts in Grand Central—in well-known places.
- Alec Baldwin will host SNL for a record-breaking 17th time on February 11. (Vulture)
- I know the marches were Saturday and it’s already Tuesday, but I can’t resist posting these great signs that were spotted in D.C. And here are more fantastic signs from all over. (Jezebel, Slate)
- This new Netflix series about design looks interesting. (Kottke)
- A new exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum showcases pieces from Georgia O’ Keefe’s excellent wardrobe. (Mental Floss)