Friday 20th October 2017

Tuesday links

• Popular movies get broken down into color palettes. (Visual News)
  • I wrote a piece about dressing your age. (The Cut)
  • A timeline of all of Hollywood’s many Zelda Fitzgerald biopics-in-the-making. (Vulture)
  • 10 works of architecture in harmony with nature. (Flavorwire)
  • The ACLU received a record $24 million in online donations this weekend. (Slate)

Posted on January 31st, 2017 20 Comments

1. Heather says:

Kim, I LOVE the “Dress your Age” essay. So excited that you’ve been writing these longer pieces more often (it seems).

2. Raina says:

Any new article/post/missive by Kim is the rainbow sprinkles on my day.

3. Tammy says:

What a brilliant piece for The Cut, Kim. Really great. 🙂

4. Dana D says:

My day has been made…

You wrote a kick-ass piece dedicated to us all (I particularly love the cleverness of your “no longer having so many fucks to give…”)…

and the ACLU is going to kick ass in its fight against the t____ administration.

5. Caroline says:

Love your article!
    And I need to remember a little more fuck you when dressing.
    So much more satisfying😘

6. Tee says:

“My only real regret is that I didn’t learn to dress my age when I was younger.”

Me too.

7. Susanna says:

Love your article for the Cut…and am annoyed at those millennials who sneer at leather pants!

• DeDe says:

Yeah, that age-shaming troll who started off the comment thread seems pretty miserable already – 52 is going to be absolute hell for her/him.

8. ANN says:

What a great article you wrote. Thank you for starting my day with a smile.

9. gk2829 says:

For over a decade I have been saying, I am not interested in fashion but I enjoy wearing and buying clothes. I think there is a difference between the two. I am 53 and don’t live in New York so I guess it is easier to reject fashion. Moreover I am not pretty nor do I look particularly good in clothes. I am not saying this to be self-deprecating because most clothes are created for a certain body type. NOT MINE. Thank goodness I don’t care anymore and I applaud women who decide to do their own things whether they follow fashion or not.

10. Debra says:

Great line-up of links today. Your article Kicks Ass. Who knew Amelie had so much green going on? Said it before, I’ll say it again: I don’t get the fascination with Zelda Fitzgerald. ACLU donations — Kicks Ass II. Finally, while my nature-loving side digs all the buildings with trees growing up through the inside, my practical side can’t stop thinking about how much it must cost to maintain a temperate environment in those spaces.

• Dana D says:

Debra…

I think that the fascination with Zelda has to do with the fascination and incessant blathering-on about her husband and his mediocre-but-nevertheless-highly-lauded The Great Gatsby.

Why people STILL get worked up about this piece of literature is beyond me.

I’m a former high school English teacher and I’ve been teaching multicultural literature for years…never felt the need to inflict Gatsby on my students.

11. Christina says:

Love the article on dressing your age. As a 30-year-old, I’m trying to find my balance sooner and amplify my internal radar. Thank you for the reminder, and if you ever decide to give up those gorgeous leather jeans, I’d be happy to provide them with a very loving second home 🙂

12. Tami says:

Thanks for the article on dressing your age. My 2017 New Years’ resolution was to not squeeze my 47 year old body into too-tight jeans just because they were the “right” size. I made it out to do some bricks and mortar shopping the other day, sized up on a pair of skinny jeans (with stretch, and oh boy!, what a difference an inch makes. I really think I’m in a better mood. Also, please keep the “stomach pooch camouflage” recommendations coming!

13. Julia says:

Loved the piece on the cut, and cheered when I saw it there. One request — in the article you mentioned a piece about dressing your age on this blog, which attracted tons of comments — can you post a link?

14. Rachel says:

I appreciated the confluence/synergy of your article about “dressing your age”– and specifically knowing what looks good on you — arriving just as the Fug Girls were writing about Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Viola Davis: “she (JL-D), like Viola Davis, has gotten to a point in her life where she knows what looks good on her, and she wears it.”

It’s like there is a GFY/GCA mind meld going on.

Great article, Kim! Tweeted and shared on FB.

Americans donating to the ACLU in record numbers gives me hope!

16. Great article – absolutely agree! And its not just your inner radar, I didn’t wear above knee when I was 20 cause my legs are fine but I don’t think great. So I don’t wear them now. Yes, I did cut my hair shorter, but not due to some requirement that after 35 women should not have long hair. I did it cause I recognised I no longer had the beautiful thick hair of my youth and it was looking a bit scraggly. But this isn’t everyones issue, some of my friends have their youthful hair into 50s and beyond.
    Likewise, I have designed my new dresses based largely on what works for me, not me at a certain age, just me who recognises what looks best on her, and unfortunately this is not a Bodycon dress, unlike it is for Kelly Wearstler.
    So thank you – as with everything there arn’t really any RULES.
    Charlotte Lucie

17. allison says:

I loved this article! (I love everything you write.)

Your piece was particularly timely since I texted my friend with a pic of a Zara babydoll dress and asked if I was too old for it. (I’m 43.) She gave me the go ahead, and so did I, but I ask this question more frequently all the time.

Love your blog.