Saturday 20th January 2018

Not the same old blazers

Rag & Bone blazer

This is not to suggest that there’s anything wrong with the same old basic navy blue or black blazers—to the contrary, we depend on them—but a girl’s got to have a little variety sometimes, and I’m liking the less-than-orthodox shapes, colors, textures, and patterns here. This striped Rag & Bone number is so English schoolboy. Or uproariously mod, depending on your perspective.

Etoile Isabel Marant blazer

Just a really easy, super-Frenchie one-button option.

Rebecca Taylor blazer

So excellently tweedy and fringe-y.

Smythe blazer

A very polished, slim-cut chambray jacket.

Pas ded Calais blazer

I always think an inverted lapel looks really clean and modern.

Veronica Beard blazer

The pairing of the pinstripes with the silver buttons here is just good fun.

Etoile Isabel Marant blazer

Nicely cut, in a bold black and white.

Derek Lam blazer

I’m digging the truly funky lapel and great blue-on-black print.

The Great blazer

A super-casual, throw-it-on-and-go choice.

Posted on January 30th, 2017 19 Comments

1. Alix says:

I’m really starting to think your blog should be called Girls of a Certain Size…

2. ljchicago says:

I like some of these blazers but I wouldn’t buy any of them because I don’t wear blazers and they are too expensive for me. Kim’s budget and style are vastly different from my own but I still read her blog everyday because it’s about so much more than fashion. Her daily links to interesting articles are thoughtful and well-chosen. The comments from her readers are engaging and intelligent. That’s enough for me.

• Dana D says:

I agree…

also, I’m finding, as I age, that its fun to imagine other women wearing some of the lovely items posted here…(in other words, I’m done buying blazers for work or weekends, but I still like to look at them…)

I think we can all get good style ideas even if the actual “thing” is not our size or is beyond our budget.

• Heather says:

Agreed. This site isn’t meant to be a personal shopping source, just some suggestions. Like ljchicago, my personal style and budget are quite different from Kim’s, but I still appreciate her eye, her thoughtful writing, and the smart dialogues she facilitates. (Admittedly, my personal style could use a bit of mixing up – and I have taken some pointers from Kim as well as her ‘cost per wear’ philosophy.)

• Debra says:

ABSOLUTELY agree with everything you wrote, Dana D. One of the things I like best about Kim’s sartorial choices is that they get me thinking creatively about my own wardrobe. Keeps me out of a rut and inspires faith in my own choices. Many of the items posted are not for me but I like to see them anyway! They open up my mind to new possibilities and can’t we all use a little more of that?

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Yup. I think Dana D is spot-on. Im a size 14, so items featured don’t often fit me, but I’ve got a damned good imagination and so I take Kim’s pieces as inspiration. I’m not a blazer girl, so I’m not so much about today’s blazer post (although, the slouchy one by “The Greats” has me!).

Take what works and leave the rest! One blog can’t be all things to all people.

3. y.k. says:

in 1981 i had a Perry Ellis jacket that looked exactly like that Rag & Bone. very unwisely purged a few years later. do any of you have it?? 😆
    this is my favorite blog. kim’s writing is perfectly, excuse the cliche, evocative, the links always diverting, comments often hysterical (hi viajera ), & point of view always smart. what more can anyone expect from a blog.

I’m not a blazer person, but I do love that Derek Lam. The Rag & Bone is also pretty fabulous (y.k. I wish I’d grabbed your Perry Ellis when you purged!).

And I agree, this blog and Kim’s writing is much more than “fashion you should buy”––I love reading the comments and the sharing of righteous indignation when our world becomes chaotic and the links are always, always interesting.

5. Cora says:

For me, blazers are quite tricky, because once you’re past the C-Cup (at most) you just don’t look sleek and snappy but irredeemable frumpy in a blazer. Do prove me wrong 🙂

• joannawnyc says:

You can look snappy if you find one that’s fitted at the waist, but I agree, blazers can be tricky for women of a certain shape 😉

On the whole, though, love this selection! Though the last one is a bit shapeless for my taste.

• Mary Alice says:

Cora, I’m a solid H-cup and I live in my black j.crew blazer. The trick is to buy to fit the shoulder and have the rest tailored, paying close attention to the waist. I promise you, it works.

• cryan says:

That’s fair (I’m a DDD) but one tip is go double-breasted! They are more flattering. I just bought a really cute navy double-breasted from Loft.

6. Sarah says:

I agree with posts above. This site isn’t meant to be a personal shopping source. Frankly, I couldn’t care less what sizes or prices the items that Kim posts are. I do sometimes purchase items Kim features. But, if I love something posted that isn’t quite perfect for me, I’ll find a version that is my size, price, color, etc. For me, it’s about sparking my imagination, making me think, while showing me a particular point-of-view and aesthetic.

7. Tiffany says:

Love blazers … Totally hankering after the Isabel Marant one but can’t justify it at the moment. And I love this blog for more than the clothes – echoing everyone else who says it’s about more than that!

8. S. says:

I’m so curious to see other people who like me identify as not-blazer types. I love the way they look on other people, I get their logic in terms of style, and yet I put one on and think I look ridiculous. (Ditto with necklaces — what a weirdo, huh?) Maybe we should have a style psychology post? Why do we have these aversions to such perfectly ordinary things — excluding rational aversions like things that actually, empirically do look bad on us?

On the other hand, maybe some things are better left unexplored…

9. Gables girl says:

While I do wear blazers I find them very “adult” and reserve them for upper management meetings. I do like making them more casual by tossing a cardigan over the shoulders, t-shirt underneath, or over jeans.

10. Unfortunately like all you blessed double D’s and C’s…on a good day I am a B. So of course I love the Rebecca Taylor tweedy and fringey, I like some length on a blazer to cater for my double D bottom! lol.