Saturday 21st January 2017

Week of Requests: My must-haves

Liberty of London umbrella my must haves

Dea writes, “I would love to read an expanded list of the things you can’t live without, like the list recently published in New York.” Happy to oblige, Dea. Let’s start with my lovely travel umbrella, which I ordered special from Liberty of London. It’s their Ianthe print, one of my favorites, and a particularly colorful iteration of it, and fits nicely in my handbag, and is ten times as sturdy as the cheapos I usually buy on the street.

Christian Lacroix notebook my must haves

My Christian Lacroix notebook is where all of my passwords live, along with notes and lists on everyday matters both big and small. Looking back through it is like a mini-history lesson in my own life, and the cover is one of my all-time favorite prints.

Clare V Gosee bag my must haves

My Clare V Gosee Clutch gets carried more than any bag I own. Every time I buy a new, fancy bag I think it’s all over for my Gosee, but I always come back, because it’s just the perfect size and shape for all my stuff—it’s even big enough to accommodate my iPad when I’m in the mood to schlep it.

Chan Luu scarf my must haves

You’d think I was on the payroll, the way I go on about Chan Luu scarves, but they are just so good— lightweight and yet incredibly warm, and they come in some of the best colors, even though my default most days is black.

Bobbi Brown BB Cream my must haves

I wouldn’t dare go a day without my Bobbi Brown BB Cream—it evens out my skin tone beautifully, and provides a nice, subtle glow. And it has a nice, high SPF, which I didn’t used to think was such a big deal, but now know better.

Davines Oi Oil my must haves

I put a few drops of this stuff on right before I use my curling iron, to protect from damage and make my hair all silky and un-frizzy. It works (and smells!) like a dream.

Liberty of London Handkerchief my must haves

When do the big morning dog walk in the freezing cold, my nose always gets runny. No idea why, but because of this, I never leave the house without one of my Liberty of London handkerchiefs. Some I buy straight from the source, but I’ve also found this great Etsy store that sells them.

Bully sticks my must haves

These are Bully Sticks, and they smell like mad and the dogs go crazy for them and I buy them in bulk, constantly. Once, when my friend Michelle was taking care of the dogs, she got curious about what, exactly, Bully Sticks were made of, and it turns out the answer is bull’s penises. So there’s that.

Liberty of London sticky notes my must haves

And: I know it’s a lot with the Liberty of London already, but why have regular old sticky notes when you can have Liberty of London sticky notes in the very same print as your tattoo? I ask you?

Ecobrow brow pomade

Due to a pre-adolescent plucking experiment gone horribly wrong, my eyebrows are scant. This stuff makes it look like I have the nice, full eyebrows I have not had in real life for decades.

Posted on January 10th, 2017 12 Comments

1. Laura Jean says:

I think this is my favorite GOACA list ever. Plus, bull penises!

• DeDe says:

The bull penis this made me LOL so hard! Plus, I just love that dog treats are included (I don’t have a dog, but I would if I could).

2. Karen says:

Thanks for the eye brow wax info. I have been using an old brown eyeshadow to fill in and hide the greys. I knew there was something specific for eyebrows out there that wasn’t a pencil… But I was too lazy to go find it!

3. DeDe says:

This is a freakin’ gold mine! Especially the handkerchiefs – I prefer them over kleenex (except when I’m really sick) for a whole bunch of goody-two-shoes reasons. Now I won’t have to look like a gross old man when I use them. Thanks, Kim! You’re the best!

4. Jax says:

Thank you, Kim! The bull penises woke me up for the day.

I know your long-lasting love of the Gosee Clutch. I’ve been considering taking the plunge on the Sac Bretelle (disappointed there’s no pebble leather version, but could go for the nubuck) or the Double Sac Bretelle (which does come in pebble leather) for a few years now, but it’s a big plunge for my budget. I’d go for the Gosee, if it came in something a less delicate leather option than suede.

Wondering how durable any of the Clare V bags have been for you? Some of the strap attachments seem delicate. Just want to make sure, they are durable for the investment.

Would love your feedback, thank you! Jackie

5. Hick from Styx says:

My mother gave me a quality travel umbrella when I was nine years old. I used it until just a few years ago. They don’t make things like that any more.

I never told her about the time I had to use it as a weapon, which is why the strap on the carry case broke. The is for the billyclub, mom!

6. Lol Kim – my dog Foxy loves ‘Bully Sticks’ too. But be careful of the calories – my dog is probably about Sammy size and can easily put on weight (shes not allowed to cause has one bad knee), the vet said it was the Bully sticks.

Oh man….those poor dogs! Or should I say those poor bulls?!?

I love the cute/functional umbrella, I am a total Bobbi Brown lover, so I hear ya on that, I have tried Oi, but I sadly think I got some old stuff cuz it smells more like an old lady, Clare V…YES!, and I MUST find a Chan Luu scarf on-sale!

8. Dea says:

Thank you for taking my request! Between the dreary weather in upstate NY and the upcoming inauguration…well, it’s been a slog, and this site always cheers me up. I was so psyched to see this list! Couldn’t agree more about the bully sticks. Stinky, but essential.