Saturday 29th April 2017

Week of Requests: the dogs

Barbour dog coat

Hick from the Styx asks, “How do you dress your dogs for insanely inclement weather?” When it gets rainy and snowy or the weather dips below 25 degrees, I outfit the big guy, Mister, in a Barbour coat, and the little guy, Sammy, in a down puffer (his little body’s a weird fit for the Barbours) and off we go.

Musher's Secret

When it snows in the city, everybody sprinkles the sidewalks with salt, which is murder on their paws. I used to put booties on Sammy, but Mister wouldn’t go for it, so now I just use a thick coat of Musher’s secret—seriously thick—and they’re good to go.

Conway Air Purifier

And Allison wants to know, “How do you keep your house clean/pet proof/smelling good with two dogs?” First of all, I have a cleaning lady, who comes once a week. Second, I invested in this thing—an air filter—and I’m convinced it has kept my place from acquiring that multiple-animals-live-here-funk.

African basket

And I have this basket, which is where all the dog toys live.

Evercare pet lint roller

Also: I have discovered the stickiest lint roller of all time. It truly gets off every last bit of fur.

Kim France's dogs

And Janie Lynn writes, “I would definitely like to see something on your dogs, whether or not it’s shopping-related. As long as [there are] some cute pics of the pooches, I’ll be happy.”  Here’s a picture for you, Janie Lynn.

Kim France's dogs

And here’s another, where you get a slightly better sense of Sammy.

Posted on January 4th, 2017 17 Comments

1. DeDe says:

Aw, it’s nice to see your (very stylish!) pups. I hope that big guy’s staying mostly out of trouble!

2. KimFrance says:

He’s a trouble machine, DeDe!

Oh those pups! Cuties both.

Thanks for the info on the “lint” roller. I walked around a couple of days ago in black jeans thinking I looked oh-so-fashionable-French only to discover when I undressed that evening that I had been walking around all day with Betty’s blond fur covering the backs of my legs from the knees down––the only place I hadn’t “roller-ed.” (sigh)

4. Elizabeth Webster says:

Musher’s Secret is the bomb! I live in Michigan and it’s the best stuff I’ve found for Scout’s paws (she doesn’t tolerate any kind of bootie either). It’s also good when the pavement or sand is crazy hot. And bonus, I just smear the extra on my cuticles before my gloves go on & I swear it’s moisturizing.

5. Love the dog write up.. and I see the ‘new guy’ is actually called ‘Mister’ and is bigger than Sammy – how is he dealing with this?
    We have the opposite issue in Kuwait, 50 deg Celcius summers are hard on little dogs paws. My dog ‘foxy’ does not like botties probably because she was a rescue at 2 years old and didn’t grow up with booties – can’t teach old dogs new tricks so to speak.
    I will check if Mushers secret or something similar will work.
    Good to have you back from holidays.
    Charlotte

• KimFrance says:

Sammy was definitely not thrilled at first, and there were a couple of fights, and I was pretty worried, but now they are great pals.

• Charlotte says:

Good to hear! I had a stray Pekingese here for a night and my dog and the stray were similar size, age and both girls – was exhausting watching the territorial war. (In case anyone’s concerned, the stray is being lovingly adopted by a family in the States).

6. Sammy and Mister are the absolute coolest.

Love this post. I will look into getting the air filter, paw protector and lint roller. Thanks for the great recs.

7. Colleen says:

Those pups! So glad to finally “meet” them!

8. caroline says:

Your pups are gorgeous!
    I’m tempted to send in pic of my mutt Maddie,but really she’s the kind of dog only a mother could love…
    We love her anyway.

9. Amy in StL says:

Someone just mentioned Musher’s Secret to me a few weeks back when I was complaining about all the salting of sidewalks here. I’ve tried so many things and it didn’t work. Good to know that putting it on thick is maybe the key. The person suggesting it said to just touch their pads to the surface, but it sounds like digging in might be the way to go. It’s supposed to snow here tonight, so we’ll find out tomorrow if it worked!

10. Jaime Lynn Natoli says:

Yay! Puppy Pics! They are both super-cute! Thank you!

(I’m actually Jaime Lynn and not Janie Lynn — I must have typed in my name wrong.)

11. Carol says:

Cutie pups! Mister reminds me of my dearly departed Harley, a rascally rat terrier from the pound. woof

12. Chelene says:

Oh man … is that a heeler (mix?) I spy? I have one: a 3-year-old Border Collie/Heeler mix who is absolute equal parts of hell on wheels and adorable snuggler. Great, great dogs!

13. Gables girl says:

My Basset hound Annabelle Lee approves of these two sweeties! Thanks for the filter tip.

Cute guys you’ve got there, Kim! And I love their toy basket

15. Hick from Styx says:

Oh, my! Sammy could be my girl’s twin. I hear you with the body shape thing. My girl is longish. Sammy is so sweet in that puffer coat. Mister is stylishly confident. Thank you!