Friday 26th May 2017

Friday links

• Hey everybody, how have your holidays been? I’m going a little stir crazy, so I thought I’d throw some links up, just for kicks. On a somber note, can we take a moment to say a serious rest in peace to Carrie Fisher, who was—in addition to being such a great talent—so disarmingly open about her struggles with addiction and bipolar disorder. Here are some some of her more inspiring quotes. (The Cut)
  • And then her mother dies the next day! Just horrible. Here is a look back at Debbie Reynolds’s best musical moments. (Vulture)
  • And then there was George Michael, who as it turns out, was quite a philanthropist.  (Telegraph)
  • And as long as we’re on the topic, here are four classic TV show deaths. (Neatorama)
  • And here we have the best drone photographs of 2016, some of which are rather intense. (Time)
Posted on December 30th, 2016 8 Comments

1. Laura Jean says:

Ugh. Carrie & Debbie just broke my heart. This is the only logical explanation for all these lovely people leaving us this year (from @MsTexas1967 on Twitter):

It is becoming increasingly obvious that David Bowie has established a better alternate universe and is populating it selectively one-by-one.

2. Debra says:

Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but 2016 SUCKS all the way around. My holidays have consisted of an endless cycle of laying on the couch, watching old movies, listening to Bowie then Prince, mourning, getting up to make brownies, eating brownies, going back to the couch, sleeping fitfully and — repeat. Bowie’s better alternate universe? I’m not ready for permanent residence but can I visit? DA*N you, 2016, DA*n you!

I just out of habit looked at your blog today, Kim, and was so satisfied to see that you had posted something…and what great links…much needed by my sadness over recent deaths and, for me, too many houseguests for too long.

Although I am older than Carrie Fisher, when I saw Star Wars for the first time I had an immediate girl crush on her character because I wanted to be as strong and forceful as Princess Leia and, when I learned more about her as the person rather than the actress, that crush continued on Ms. Fisher herself. As the parent of a child who has mental health issues, Carrie Fisher was such a wonderful champion for those who feel outside the norm.

As sucky as this year has been I’m trying to look at 2016 as a wake up call for me to not get too complacent. Life is too short. (an altogether too on target cliche).

4. Jean says:

Laura Jean: Thank you for posting that comment. It made me smile and that’s been hard to do lately.

Here’s to a turnaround for 2017. 2016 has been just awful, particularly for my family…death, job loss, serious illness, financial misfortune, not to mention the election etc. Happy New Year to Everyone here and especially you Kim. Thank you so much for your amazing creation.

Aw, Carrie Fisher….what a wit, a warrior, a woman!

6. DeDe says:

So I was sitting in an exam room waiting for a ladybit exam this morning (c’mon, we all have ’em!), for which I also had to get up at the buttcrack of dawn, when I am additionally not feeling so excellent, and the Carrie Fisher quotes were just exactly the right thing. What an f’n inspiration she was, not because she was some sort of ideal person but because she was so very flawed and yet so determined and self-aware and honest. The depth of her humanity was unfathomable. “Youth and beauty are not accomplishments.” RIGHT ON.

Here’s to you, Carrie, and all the rest who have gone back to the cosmos this year, as my dad would say. Hopefully 2017 will have some good surprises in store, but if not, take your joy where you can, ladies, and spread it around. We can, and must, lift one another up with the same kind of determination with which Carrie lived her life.

• DeDe says:

PS, on second thought, flawed was a poor choice of words to describe someone with bipolar – my apologies if I added to the stigma with that. It was totally unintentional.

7. Heather says:

What a great portrait of Carrie — it really captures her joyous spirit. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend listening to the recent episode of Fresh Air with Terry Gross with excerpts of 3 interviews with Carrie (I listen on Stitcher but I’m sure you can find it on NPR.org, etc). Great conversations between two smart, generous, thoughtful women. Carrie, you’ll be greatly missed.