Thursday 23rd March 2017

Gift Guide #2: Beauty sets

mercier-beauty-set

Beauty sets abound this time of year, and I am a complete sucker for them. They’re almost always a really good deal—as in, you get a lot more than you typically pay for—even if you go the splurgetastic route, like with this Laura Mercier fantasia of her most iconic products.

net-a-porter-ultimate-beauty-kit

Look closely: this (also rather splurgy) Ultimate Beauty Kit from Net a Porter is all winner, no filler.

grande-hotel-cafe

This palette from Too Faced seems like an especially good deal: a bumper crop of eyeshadows, blushers, and bronzers, and a happy little travel-friendly tube of their stellar Better Than Sex mascara, all for just under $50.

collection-for-a-cause

The purchase of this selection of skin-care items from Kiehl’s benefits Feeding America.

screen-shot-2016-11-26-at-11-42-44-am

The packaging of this Ren Skincare set is so pretty you won’t even need wrapping paper.

amuse-bouche-bite-lipsticks

I would just up and die if somebody gifted me this lipstick paradise from Bite Beauty.

bite-beauty-discovery-set

But I also quite like this smaller set, also from Bite Beauty, which rings in at a quite reasonable $39.

Posted on November 30th, 2016 8 Comments

1. CassandraMortmain says:

Hi, Kim – I have a Sephora bonus to use and I want to try Bite lipstick. The giant set is way beyond reach and I’m looking at the smaller set of course, but I’d like to know what your favorite shades are. Thanks!

• Mockingbird says:

My favorite of theirs is Tanin, it’s a good, rich red. Way more reds than should go orange on me so I lean towards brick or blue reds. Bite has a great selection of reds, easily one for every complexion. As well as the set Kim featured, they have a $25 one with four mini lipsticks- three soft pinks/nudes and a deep mahagony red called Nori that I love. I have a lipstick addiction so I love minis because I can carry more colors with me without needing a makeup bag the size of my head. Bite also has a set of their matte pencils, which last well and aren’t drying. And they have double ended minis with one of their regular colors on one end and limited edition metallic top coats on the other. If you’re a Sephora VIB member they usually have at least one Bite mini a years as a reward choice.

2. Debra says:

As I’ve matured, I’ve focused my makeup routine on the tried and true. Saves money in the long run and saves time in the mornings. I’m a very practical person. But every time you do a post on these sets, I go kind of nutty. I feel myself morphing into a spoiled kid in a candy store. Actually, more like Tony Montana with his mountain of cocaine. Except I’m seated at a vanity table, piles of makeup almost obscuring the mirror and the reflection isn’t me. . .it’s Tammy Faye Bakker. And I’m LOVING it. Scary. Very scary.

3. ritu says:

I already bought this for my 19 year old daughter, and if I was at all into makeup, I would buy the Glossier Black Tie set for myself, too. I think it is gorgeous and low-key and useful. It has a luminizer/highlighter stick, a sparkly graphite eye pencil, super shiny but nude-ish lip gloss, and pretty pale pink nail polish. For $50, not bad at all. https://www.glossier.com/products/black-tie-set

Don’t even get me started, or I’ll end up spending more on makeup than my future retirement fund allows! But those Bite Beauty lip colors are totally worth a bread and water diet. (I love “Pepper”!)

5. AmyM says:

I actually had the giant Bite set in my Sephora cart at one point, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. Sometimes I hate being a responsible adult.