Saturday 16th December 2017

Top 5 of the week

screen-shot-2016-09-30-at-10-30-08-am

I like skirts, I do; I very much like how they look on others, but I don’t wear them nearly as much as I’d like myself, because I’m endlessly picky when in comes to the acquisition of them. I like skirts simple, straightforward, and totally unfussy—as clean-lined as I’d expect a good pair of pants to be. But pretty. And with a little—but just a little— something interesting going on. Like this asymmetrical satin number, which would look so great with a cashmere sweater and tights. (I know some might argue that a satin skirt is the very embodiment of fussy, but I think the trick would be to dress it down and treat it like it were any other material. Very glam.)

apc-skirt

Sort of a sophisticated version of a schoolgirl skirt.

jersey-skirt

This jersey skirt just looks like the soul of comfort.

screen-shot-2016-10-22-at-3-45-38-pm

I wear the hell out of my J. Crew denim skirt, but it’s on the short side: I like the midi length here.

leather-pencil-skirt

leather pencil skirt that isn’t skin-tight: a revelation.

Posted on October 27th, 2016 8 Comments

1. kate says:

I bought that denim mother skirt after you wrote about it once before. It is the single most worn article of clothing in my closet! Thank you for the inspiration and if you are still thinking about it- do it! It stretches so it is comfortable and it is a great length. You can wear it with EVERYTHING!

2. Cola says:

I hear you on the skirts! I am endlessly fussy about the fit, length, fabric and details.I love the satin number – could be just the thing for holiday parties.

3. caroline says:

The satin skirt is a beauty!!!
    Love it.
    I have a leather pencil skirt very similar to that one and I wear the hell out if it. Not in a fussy way. usually with high clogs and a t-shirt or a roomy sweater.

4. laura jean says:

That satin skirt is certainly lust-worthy, but damn I want those boots.

5. joannawnyc says:

Love the cut of the satin one, though I am convinced no person off a red carpet looks good in satin (and sometimes not even then). Otherwise I want the jersey one and the leather one.

though I seldom, seldom wear skirts or dresses. I tried to institute a once-a-week to work rule but was stymied by the intense a/c over the summer. I need to get back to it!

6. Mary Alice says:

I have a Mother A-line denim skirt that I wore nonstop over the summer! I highly recommend.

7. Hick from Styx says:

Skirts come second in the “most difficult to buy” category after dresses. They’re either too short, too long, too flimsy or not flowy enough. The ubiquitous pencil skirt just doesn’t work for me. Nor does any skirt made of shiny or stiff fabric. Anything that is a static magnet is out, too.