Tuesday 17th October 2017

Thursday links

jessica-jones

• Every episode of the new season of Jessica Jones—a show I do not watch, but about which I hear good things—will be directed by women. (The Frisky)
  • According to a recent study, the more you lie, the less guilty you feel about lying—which explains why some people are such experts at it. (The Science of Us)
  • The first American ever, Paul Beatty, has won the Man Booker prize for his book, The Sellout. (Slate)
  • Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner has just signed a very big deal for a new show with Amazon. (A.V. Club)
  • This slideshow of Michelle Obama’s most memorable gowns is just a complete pleasure. (Go Fug Yourself)

Posted on October 27th, 2016 9 Comments

1. Suz says:

Watch Jessica Jones. I was oddly optimistic seeing the sheer number of women in the shows opening credits – and it pans out. Very worth the time – it sticks with you. Very much the antidote to all the male dominated entertainment that just gets stuff (female stuff) wrong.

Yay! Great news from the Jessica Jones people.

• Viajera says:

Okay you talked me into it! You had me at “worth the time…” Will have to figure out where it is. It’s okay I have people for that.

• Suz says:

Yay! I went into it halfheartedly, sorta what tha hey – and got swept up. Was much more than I expected.

Hope you dig it 🙂

I haven’t read any of his work yet but Paul Beatty does a good interview. Which bodes well. Saw him on Newshour.

I can’t shut up today! Re the slideshow. Two things jump out at me, maybe three. Flotus is frequently making expressions in photos, which I take as a sign of a rich internal life. Her taste in clothing is more playful and experimental than merely “good,” which again shows inner beauty. Finally, she always looks better than her clothing, which is pretty danged remarkable for someone who is after all a civilian (or was).

My favorites were the red halterneck, the plaid strapless ballgown, and I forget the third one. Ah, the silver sheath. I’ve never seen anyone whose photos are more in need of becoming made paper dolls, if they aren’t already.

FLOTUS…what an outstanding First Lady. What outstanding gowns! I also love how many of these photos show Barack looking at her adoringly. As he should.

Jessica Jones is worth the time, but be forewarned it is violent.

Paul Beatty…very happy about that award, but have yet to read The Sellout. Something to look forward to in the near future.

• Viajera says:

Ditto. I can’t get over how amazingly well they have met the challenge of being the first PoC. I hope they live very long and happy lives with less pressure from now on. I don’t think it is easy.

5. joannawnyc says:

The Sellout has been on my list for a while!

I forgot about Jessica Jones, will have to take a look.

6. We don’t have a television, but when I visited my daughter her husband urged me to watch “Jessica Jones.” I had no idea what it was about but it seemed important to him so I decided to be a good mom-in-law and sit down with him.

Loved it. Loved it a LOT. The character is very complex — not just another hard-drinkin’, butt-kickin’ private eye. As the series unfolds we get more and more of her backstory and it’s very, very dark. I agree with others that it’s worth your time.