Friday 28th July 2017

It’s blazer season at last

blazer-season

A really good blazer is like a grown-up version of a blankie: it makes you feel more happy, together, and secure just the moment you get your hands on it. I definitely feel more confident when I’ve got one on and, depending on the outfit, sexier too.  I love watching the women of New York bopping around in their blazers this time of year, looking fantastic. Don’t these two exude style even just from the back?

club-jacket

I’m pretty much dying for a well-tailored army green blazer.

banana-two-button

Just a straight-up classic two-button black blazer, versatile as the day is long.

oversized-herringbone

This oversized grey herringbone number is fun and cheap, too.

screen-shot-2016-09-25-at-2-51-34-pm

I know this is a little Drum Major with that angular hem, but I also kind of love it.

brown-corduroy

I am dying, dying, dying for this brown wide-wale corduroy blazer—and just the idea of corduroy blazers in general. (Check out  this one from J. Crew for a more affordable option.)

screen-shot-2016-09-25-at-2-13-09-pm

I like how tuxedo-ish this feels without being an actual tuxedo cut.

pas-de-calais

And finally: Pas de Calais makes the coolest blazers with delicate embroidered vests layered underneath.

Posted on September 29th, 2016 14 Comments

1. Nay says:

Love blazer weather, it’s the sweet-spot before the throes of winter.

The bags the women are carrying in that 1st picture are so impossibly chic and elegant. OOF!
    Any idea who makes them?

2. y.k. says:

yes the bags are excellent &that jacket in the first pic -the fitted brownish one is making me crazy.

3. Robin says:

I’ve been trying to find a blazer than works for me, but I end up looking like a little kid playing dress up. I just ordered the Campbell blazer from J.Crew and it did not work at all. So…any suggestions out there for those of us 5’3″ and short-waisted?

• c.w. says:

I’m short as well and ditto on finding a blazer that works. Last fall I found a black Rebecca Taylor blazer that is “cropped,” but on me it looks normal.

4. caroline says:

Love it.
    I’m soooo happy to be getting in the fall groove!
    That green one great.

5. LMM says:

Oh that corduroy blazer is a DREAM. I’m tall with swimmer shoulders, though, and I wish it came in a tall size, though – I always have trouble with the sleeves on blazers being the right length, or with having to buy them to fit my shoulders and then having them be too big everywhere else.

6. Kat says:

Looks like Emmanuelle Alt to me

7. Mary Alice says:

I love, love, love the Kooples blazer – clicked on the link and was so excited to see that it was at Nordstrom – then reality hit. It only goes up to a size 10 and the notes say “runs small. Order one size up”.
    Sigh.

I want a suede blazer that hangs like thick silk. In grey.

Ah, of course the French Voguettes look stylish even from the back! And isn’t it cute how they “twin” their bags…quite tribal, really. 😉

• Viajera says:

See, you’re much nicer than me. I thought it was a bit much. And then I wonder, why then would I take their advice? Do women really dress for each other, as some men say?

Not that there is anything wrong with the bag. Hey, maybe it was a coincidence.

Oh btw, I am ignorant about blazer rules. What if anything does it mean if you only button one button? And which one(s) should it be, if you do? Is there a different rule for men?

Also, length – I like shorter ones just because they suit me better. Does this “mean” anything, socially? I doubt it but who would know better than you-all?