Sunday 24th September 2017
Most Popular

Sorry. No data so far.

Wednesday links

love-story

• Perfect movies for the autumnal equinox. (Flavorwire)
  • This beginner’s guide to meditation is just two minutes long, pretty much says all you need to know to get a start, and makes the whole enterprise come off a lot less intimidating than it usually does. (Kottke)
  • Would you take a nap in this airport pod between flights? (Mental Floss)
  • Modern Family has just cast television’s first transgender child actor. (Jezebel)
  • A look back at the rock & roll billboards of LA’s Sunset Strip. (Collector’s Weekly)
Posted on September 28th, 2016 7 Comments

I realize I have cranky moments, and this may be one of them. I don’t know that we should be putting labels on children, either as cis or trans or other. And I barely know what those mean. What if the kid grows up and feels differently? What, then they have to explain it to people, something that’s none of their biz in the first place?

Otoh, one could argue that not talking about things is the same as stigmatizing them. Maybe that’s true. I just think children deserve some space and privacy and to not have adults putting a lot of burden on them that might not be helpful or necessary. And I do know a child where some of these issues came up. The family gives the child space, I don’t actually know what the what is and I’m not going to ask, and the child seems to be flourishing. I don’t know what’s best… but throwing a young child into the maw of Hollywood that way seems risky.

• c.w. says:

There is an article in the online BBC that is an interview with a ten-year-old that you might find interesting. Also, a podcast that I don’t have the link to, but it was a NPR podcast a couple of years ago that might answer some of your questions about labeling and explaining.

On an entirely separate note… should I worry at all that I don’t know how to logout of here? I don’t think it helps that I barely understand the web world of data. Just because I’m paranoid…

3. Tara says:

As the mother of a trans son, I can assure you this is not something they just outgrow. This is allowing them to live their life as the gender their brain has always told them they are. Persistence, insistence, and consistence are the buzzwords and my son wanted to be a boy since he was old enough to articulate it. Watching him blossom and seeing how happy living as male has made him convinces me that it was the right thing to do.

Of course, throwing a young child into the maw of Hollywood is a completely different issue than their gender identity, but it does make me happy to see trans people being more accepted in mainstream culture.

• Viajera says:

Oh I don’t mean that I think it is a phase, or something to outgrow per se, just that I could see how it might be complicated. Or, it might not. But eight years old is quite young. And having it be a career move, too?

Maybe I should be less pessimistic. Maybe it will work out fine. I hope so.

4. Maggie says:

I have a trans niece and it’s funny because her group of eight friends decided to identify as the opposite gender at around the same time. They make a big show of being offended if you slip and call them the wrong pronoun, and they are constantly changing their names and get offended when you call them by an old one. My sister is trying to navigate this supportively, but she doesn’t know what to make of it because gender identity is such a popular topic among kids that age that it does make her wonder if some of the kids are simply experimenting (a la David Bowie and glam rock kids) while others are serious about it. My niece never showed any signs of having gender identity issues until she told her mom at 15.

We’re a really laid back, loving family that will support her no matter what. When kids are teens and THAT dramatic and passionate about everything, though, it makes it hard to tell what is really going on. It’s only an issue for her now because her kid wants to start hormone treatments and she’s worried about the impact if it does turn out to just be a phase.