Thursday 27th July 2017

Things I bought, things I want, travel necessities edition

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 4.21.06 PM

It’s taken me years of poking around the Liberty of London site to discover that they sell travel umbrellas, and in some pretty unstoppable prints—like this bold and bright Ianthe, which you’ve really got to click through and magnify to appreciate, and which I decided was absolutely worth the overseas shipping fee.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 10.00.41 AM

I love my household UE Boom speaker—it delivers a mighty, crisp sound for such a wee little thing—and this travel version is cute as the dickens and rings in at well under $100, which is nice.

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 4.52.42 PM

Since everybody’s suitcases look somewhat alike, I like to go for a luggage tag that’s got a little something different going on. Plus, any excuse to let a splash of metallic into your life is a good one in my book.

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 7.29.09 PM

I’m double-dipping on the Liberty in this post if that’s OK with you, because I couldn’t quite resist this poppy little cosmetic bag.

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 7.35.25 PM

Probably the cutest sleep mask ever.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 10.34.53 AM

I’ve said it before and I’ll dare to repeat it: you never know when the plane you’re about to board is going to be absolutely freezing, which is why I always travel with a Chan Luu silk-and-cashmere-blend scarf to press into service as a blanket. (Here is a nice and cheaper alternative from Nordstrom.)

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 5.41.01 PM

And finally: the suitcase of my dreams.

Posted on August 30th, 2016 12 Comments

1. Kathleen Trail says:

I love your recommendations so often – and am a totally Liberty devotee. But a $98 sleep mask?

I learned about Chan Luu scarves on this blog, immediately ordered one and I have to say it is one of the most used items in my closet. I do find it perfect for plane travel. The Nordstrom option certainly seems doable, but if I were going to go for another scarf of that ilk I would probably stick with the Chan Luu.

Those Liberty cosmetic bags…quite adorable!

• jmp says:

I’ve been stalking Chan Luu scarves online since learning about them here and finally scored one for $75 (on Poshmark). It should arrive in a few days and I’m ridiculously stoked.

3. Cola says:

If the suitcase of your dreams becomes the suitcase of your reality, could you please do a packing post of what actually fits in it? In my dreams I take a 3 week trip with only a suitcase this size. Dream or Reality?

• Tamara says:

It can be done…I did 10 days in Europe with a bag that size! First chose a color story. Forget about white or anything that shows dirt. Bring a knit midi or maxi dress that you can ear with sneakers or booties. Bring one pair of walkable (Birkenstocks?) bring slim black pants. One pair of jeans no rips Knit t-shirts. (Long and shirt sleeve) the cashmere scarf. One white button down. Camisoles. A denim and a leather jacket. Scarves earrings bracelets and different color lipsticks to change the look. Done. I swear it. I’ve got the pics to prove it.

The luggage tag and makeup bag are my favorites here. I worry a little that the luggage looks a little bit too attention getting? We don’t want you held for ransom. Under the radar, that’s the ticket. Then again I tend to be a wee bit ‘noid. All good ideas here. I think when we travel it really is the “little” things. UPS the shoes if you have to, imho.

5. I2I says:

Ditto on the CL scarf and the liberty umbrella -way cute:
    OT:Here’s a Q for international travelers/shoppers:

If one is passing through say Heathrow on the way to and way back from an EU trip and both layovers afford enough time to do some duty-free shopping in the terminal — what’s the duty free deal? It’s basically a mini galleria in there – is there any ‘deals’ to be had buying say anything from the big fashion houses or is it all really basically the same prices once currency conversions take place…I’m trying to figure

6. Nancy says:

I used to put eye-catching luggage tags on my luggage, but no more–I’ve had 3 removed from my suitcase while in transit 🙁 So now I stick to boring tags and use lurid ribbons instead.

A luggage tag…that’s EXACTLY what I need! (And the Chan Luu scarf…NO substitutes!)

8. I never travel without a scarf any more. So practical! I have a couple of Kate Spades in black and white prints that match just about anything. One is a print of Manhattan so it doubles as a map 🙂