Thursday 30th March 2017

In which I leave town without some serious essentials

Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 10.37.53 AM

At a certain point on Thursday afternoon, the city’s heat and stickiness and altogether ick got to be too much, and I decided to hightail it immediately out to the country. Whenever I make a last-minute decision like this and pack in a rush, I forget something, and this time around it was my makeup. Perhaps you’re thinking that maybe this wouldn’t be such a big deal, given that I was headed for a few days of solitude in high summer, and perhaps, a decade ago, it wouldn’t be. But as it stands now, without cosmetic assistance, my lashes and brows are decidedly faded; they long to be drawn back in, and I feel better when they are. Whether or not there’s much of an audience doesn’t matter in the least.  I had just heard about a new organic beauty pop-up boutique called Knockout Beauty close by in Bridgehampton (no website, but if you’re in the neighborhood, it’s right across the Montauk highway from the Candy Kitchen), and so off I went.

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 2.24.57 PM

The first thing I picked out was this eyeliner, an old fashioned pencil, just how I like, in a nice subtle brown.

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 2.23.35 PM

My hair is kind of brassy at the moment, so the woman who was helping me chose this brow defining wax for redheads, but I actually kind of love it.

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 2.21.36 PM

Lipstick is not a priority when it gets this hot, but this is such a good red that I couldn’t resist. I like it so much I kept applying it and reapplying it all weekend, for no one but me.

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 12.31.09 PM

For reasons I couldn’t quite follow, Knockout Beauty has adopted an anti-mascara stance, and doesn’t carry any. No matter: you can always find a more-than-suitable drugstore brand, and I did perfectly great at Rite-Aid with this Volume Express The Falsies from Maybelline. Lengthens and thickens just as nicely as any of those fancy brands I’m always banging on about.

makeup remover

And while we’re at it: I think I am finally going to have to just up and switch to  Neutrogea makeup remover. So cheap. So good.

Posted on August 16th, 2016 19 Comments

1. Heather says:

Kim, I think awhile ago you might have had a post about what drugstore products we like? (Maybe I am hallucinating/early onset dementia.) Anyway, totally agree about mascara and makeup remover — these are two things I always buy on the cheap. I like to toss mascara frequently, so a pricey one isn’t an option.

Dittoing Heather––I frequently change out my mascara so cheap is good (as long as it doesn’t clump!). I find the Neutrogena wipes necessary. I keep a package in my car for a quick face wipe after a pilates class in Austin. And since I’m on the East End until the end of Sept. I plan to make a trip westward to Knockout Beauty––sounds worth the effort!!

3. job says:

I discovered Knockout Beauty and Context lipstick (my shade of choice is Come Clean) last week.
    LOVE my new lipstick, moisturizing, stays on..

4. Lorange says:

I am all about Maybelline mascaras. They don’t flake on me, unlike some fancy mascaras (your body chemistry may vary) and they’re cheap enough to toss on that recommended schedule. Cheap enough to try fun new varieties too! The Falsies line has been a favorite of mine for a while now. Also the cat eye one.

5. Kate says:

I love some organics picks, but I just can’t with the wipes. They’re so wasteful. I think a splash of water and a clean towel will do just fine 99% of the time.

• Sandy says:

I agree. I just can’t stand thinking of all those wipes being thrown away. It doesn’t seem necessary.

• Lynn in Tucson says:

Coconut oil has been my go-to for almost a year now. Takes off anything and moisturizes to boot.

• Viajera says:

Say, I am a latecomer to the coconut oil thing. Do you-all keep yours in the ‘fridge? Because at room temp mine is a liquid and I’d really prefer a cream. I guess it probably doesn’t matter too much.

• Kate says:

I love coconut oil, too. The fridge would keep it solid, or you could pop it in for a shorter amount of time just to firm it up a bit.

6. AmyM says:

I’m a firm believer in drugstore mascaras. Any time I’ve splashed out on a high-end one I’ve always regretted it. Current favorite is Maybelline Lash Sensational in Black Pearl.

7. shannon says:

I know speaking green is not as styling’ as it once was, but I cringe whenever I see celebration of cheap drug store beauty products (Like Neutrogena) because even in 2016 they still test on animals. Brutal. (I’m a beagle owner – beagles being one of the most tested-on lab breed – so sometimes I feel compelled to point out that when things are cheap, there’s usually someone else paying the price.) Okay, message over.

8. Susanna says:

Can anyone recommend a good drugstore tubing mascara? The only one I’ve come upon is Cover Girl’s Remarkable, and I find that it flakes quite a bit. I do use Clinique’s Lash Power, but the effects are very subtle/minimal and it still costs more than Maybelline, Cover Girl, etc.

And also, what the what with not carrying mascara? I’d love to know the rationale for that.

• Lynn in Tucson says:

What do you mean by tubing mascara? I’ve been happy with just about every L’oreal I’ve tried.

• Susanna says:

Tubing mascara is a type that wears like waterproof, doesn’t smudge if you sweat, but comes off with soap and water. It uses some special technology to create little tubes around each lash.

9. RebeccaNYC says:

hell to the yes for cheap mascara! no need to buy the pricey stuff. as far as makeup remover, I use BABY SHAMPOO. I work in the theater and need to be able to remove stage makeup pdq on a daily basis. Baby shampoo removes all waterproof makeup (including mascara) is gentle and soap free. not a fan of makeup wipes in general, I find they are very irritating and don’t really remove makeup. But baby wipes of the gentle variety? perfect for almost everything, including wiping down my dressing room table at the end of the night.

I haven’t made it to knockout yet, but hurray for the new bluemercury in East Hampton. When I do, however, I’m making a beeline for the new “Kosas” lipstick range, which they carry. I ordered “Rosewater” and I’m in love! I’ve got to see the rest of the shades in person. Not a bad reason to stop at Candy Kitchen for pie and ice cream, too! 😉

11. Lynn in Tucson says:

I left town last weekend for a work trip and FORGOT A BRA. I am a 32D; this is no small feat. I left home at 4:30 a.m. to catch my flight, in a racerback yoga top and camisole, and left the bra at home.

Hanes Outlet Store to the rescue, which was a freakin’ miracle. I don’t remember the last time I was able to find something in my size off the rack.

No pun intended.

• Viajera says:

Wow. Good job! That is a big win for womanity there. I am currently in the process of probably deciding to return some (unused) racerback exercise bras. I practically dislocate my shoulder getting into them.