Wednesday 26th April 2017

Cheap and chic of the week

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 3.40.28 PM

I had a quite lovely brunch and walkabout on Sunday morning with Tribeca Mom, who was very much in a shopping mood—for sneakers, in particular. Because I love to spend other people’s money, I suggested a trip to Golden Goose  on Broome Street, but she flat-out (and rightly) objected on the grounds that—cute as they are—Golden Goose sneakers are stupidly expensive. We wound up instead at the Converse store on lower Broadway, where unbeatable style sets you back around 50 bucks.  I got a grey pair like you see here, except it came with black laces, which I can’t find anywhere online, but which looked really cool. And TM got this pair, white with blue stripes and suitably preppy.

Posted on July 28th, 2016 23 Comments

1. Linda Boardman Kerr says:

I had a pair of these back in the mid-nineties, the basic black, high-top ones. The reason I didn’t replace them was that I had other casual shoes that were much more comfortable. Now there are all these different colors offered, and I like the low-cut ones rather than the high-tops. Today I think I’ll stop at DSW and try some on. Do you find them comfortable?

2. Jen says:

Definitely check out the ones with the Nike insoles. They don’t come in as many colors and styles as the others, but a huge increase in comfort and support.

3. Caroline says:

Yup.
    those are good!
    I usually go for the low profile ones. The’re somehow retro in a way that channels my 12 year old self.

4. McLaren says:

I swap out my white laces for black on my converse all the time, I love the look. I also have two pair of the converse II and while they are more comfortable that the original flavor, they aren’t as easily worn without socks. So there’s that.

5. Mary Alice says:

They make one that’s in the classic style but has a thinner sole called the “Converse All Star Dainty” that I find more comfortable than the classic thick sole. I also love having anything associated with my size 10 feet referred to as “dainty”

6. AmyM says:

God, I love my Converse. I just found a pair of grey linen on eBay that are perfect for late summer. I have a pair of leopard print that I rarely wear, and I realize now it’s because of the white laces. I think black laces will look much better.

7. Amy in StL says:

Okay, now I’m going to need to look into the Converse II. I had to give up mine because I need actual arch support, so maybe this is my answer!

8. Pamela Goldsteen says:

Converse are comfy and chic, but unsupportive. They also run large, so I’ve taken to adding my own preferred insoles, for added support.

have always loved them––never been able to wear them––the white toe rubber hits my foot in exactly the wrong place––woe is I (because I’m not Ophelia)

10. Hannah says:

I might check out the converse II. I walk so much every day that the regular ones just don’t do it for me anymore.

11. Hick from Styx says:

You are now wearing the exact same sneakers my son wears. His have the white laces. This color works with so many other colors. Great choice.

12. RebeccaNYC says:

Love my chucks! I have a black pair that is falling apart, and my husband custom ordered an orange pair with neon pink details, (which I think look like clown shoes….but I love him for doing it.) I always cut the laces so there is no big floppy lace bow. I love how everyone can adjust this shoe to their own preference!

13. Julie says:

I love this version of chuck taylors- Converse Chuck Taylor® All Star® Shoreline Slip-On Ox. No dealing with laces and the scunching backs are awesome.

14. Suz says:

Very curious about the black laces thing…..

I never could wear em until I sufficiently messed up my tendons and had to get custom orthotics – which Chucks fit perfectly. My only peeve now is the price for a pretty basic canvas shoe.

Have a navy pair that goes with everything that needs replacing. They really do somehow go with everything and suit every age. Classics

15. Zelda says:

Kim, I usually love all your recommendations, but with this one I must respectfully disagree. I threw out two pairs of Converse sneakers (off-white and blue) last year because they were too youthful and they were never comfortable. I replaced them with a pair of grey Izod sneakers that are both stylish and far more comfortable.

16. Georgia says:

You tried to steer your friend toward $400 sneakers?! For shame!

• Rayelle says:

I could not agree here more. Even the thought of paying that much for a pair of derivative, dirty sneakers makes me incensed. It’s a sheep (think about it) move, 100%.

17. Bailie says:

O my goodness this makes me so happy! Yesterday I was in a real funk of a mood and bought myself these exact sneakers in hopes of looking cool and put together since I have not been feeling that way and then to see this post today was honestly just so perfect!!

18. Erin Sikorsky says:

Can I ask what socks you wear with them? No socks is stinky gross, but even the lowest socks I can find seem somehow too high to me.

19. Lynn in Tucson says:

Hey! I have those! (‘Cept mine have the shorty laces – they’re slip-ons.) I love the color and they surf that perfect line of impressing and annoying my teenager.