Thursday 30th March 2017

Run for cover

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 7.17.16 PM

For a variety of mostly boring reasons, I’ve wound up spending most of my summer weekends in the city so far. I’m not complaining: there’s something rather pleasing about New York City when it empties out and slows down this time of year. Still, I do like the beach, and am pleased to be headed out there soon. Only problem is, I’ve got no desire to have anyone see me in a swimsuit right now—my body is, at the moment, very much a work in progress—and so it’s going to be all about lounging oceanside in a fetching cover-up. (It should be noted that I feel like a bit of a hypocrite here, as I would surely advise all of you to feel confident in a swimsuit no matter what your size, but there you have it. The cobbler’s children have no shoes.) As for the cover-ups, I like the following because they don’t take me too far out of my comfort zone, color palette-wise. As for this first choice: I don’t always love a photo print, but this moody palm tree landscape is just exactly right.

crew tunic

Black with white embroidery always looks so graphic and smart.

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 7.55.42 PM

I know, I know—this is quite expensive for what it is. But the embroidery is pretty special.

Posted on July 27th, 2016 13 Comments

These are all pretty wonderful. I’d wear the palm tree one with jeans. And, yes, the last one is over-the-top expensive for something you’re going to throw over a sweaty body covered in sunscreen and sand.

Glad you’re getting a break for beach time––assume you are heading to the East End. Enjoy!

2. Hick from Styx says:

I live near a resort that attracts a lot of foreign tourists. German women of all ages and body shapes are not afraid of wearing swimsuits. Kudos to them and their society for not having weird body obessessions. What is it with the North American belief that only the skinny, perfect, surgically-enhanced, under-30, never had a baby female is allowed to swim, visit a spa, wear a swimsuit? German women don’t have to live with the body shaming ethos so common on this side of the ocean. Rise up, North American sisters!

• Viajera says:

I agree with both of you. We shouldn’t feel the way we do, but sometimes we do anyway. My feeling is, wear as much as you need to be comfortable and forget yourself… but don’t deny yourself the water. At least put your feet in. I have board shorts and those tankini tops. They are still too skimpy but better than what I grew up wearing. Maybe this year I will actually get them wet. It really is getting hot enough that I just might not give a hooey anymore.

• Lynn in Tucson says:

I was going to say something similar. I have a good friend who is Turkish and she has been a real inspiration as to how one should comport oneself in a bathing suit!

3. Rae says:

That last dress is beautiful and I would wear it enough to make it worth the $$$ (if I didn’t already own quite a few light cover-ups). I bet you would wear it enough too!

4. Jane says:

I snorted with laughter when I read, “the cobblers children have no shoes” comment! Seriously, you always seem to be in my head and I think we would be swell pals.
    Love the second and third cover ups. I’d wear them as dresses. Throw on that swimsuit and have a wonderful time at the beach.

5. Sarah says:

If one were in a modern-getting-married-on-the-beach mood, that last one would be perfect.

Thankfully I don’t ever find myself in that mood.

6. Susan says:

Kim, you posted the white Mexican dress last spring and I looked online at http://leosimports.com/pueblashortsolid.aspx and found this in black with white. I have been a fetching model of style at our negihborhood pool now for two summers for under $50. i Muchas GraciasI

7. Janet says:

I immediately bought the black j crew number. 28.00 on sale.

The black one from J Crew….perfect!

9. Tara says:

The sizing on the J. Crew number is rather hilarious.