Tuesday 21st November 2017

What I did on my vacation

pretty flowers

Well ladies, I’m back. And I had such a good time: there was hiking, as I mentioned there would be; and yoga that was more than a little above my (forever beginner) skill level; there was healthy, delicious food and there were lovely people and there was even bowling. And badminton on a great green lawn.  And so, so many blossoming bushes of peonies. It was all enough to inspire one to browse the local real estate listings, and reader, I did. I’m having one of those it’s-never-too-late-to-change-everything moments, and this one stars a cozy house on a pretty street not too far from some woods where I can walk the dogs every day. Would I be bored out of my mind in the country? Very possibly yes. But it is a lovely fantasy. Meanwhile, please excuse me if I am not quite up to speed this week: I have vacation brain pretty bad.

Posted on June 27th, 2016 13 Comments

1. Maggie says:

Missed your writing but it sounds like your vacation was a must-needed recharge session. Welcome back!

Glad to have you back!

Ah, the real estate dilemma. On the one hand––don’t live with regrets. On the other hand––community/family/friends can be the key to what truly makes one feel fulfilled (and you seem to have that in the city). Out of real life necessity I do a split year between Texas (my muther and other obligations) and my dream of being near the beach (where I am now). It isn’t perfect, but it works for me.

3. DeDe says:

The fantasy of Country Livin’ – always a sign of an excellent vacation! Welcome back!

4. Heather says:

Like CW I’ve become bilocal (NYC and rural North Carolina), and it works for me. It has required shifting of some other priorities, and I live more simply in each place than I would if I could just stay put. It also causes a LOT of confusion when I meet new people and ‘explain’ my situation – some people take it as almost anti-American, like I’m threatening that whole homesteading thing! But it has really worked out for me. I couldn’t live in either place full-time without going insane, and my job (in academia) isn’t very mobile, but I do have semester breaks and a long summer when I’m just working on my research/writing, which I can do anywhere (with wifi).

Something to consider….

5. Katherine Myers says:

Depending on what part of the country you choose for your “country living” you don’t have to be bored at all. The Berkshires of western MA offer all the nature you could want and the cultural richness of major metropolitan areas without the crowds or the prices. I’ve been here 30+ of my 50+ years and I love it. This weekend we went to an art event which featured food cooked on artist-designed grills/smokers (no charge to attend) then to a play/circus arts performance nearby. All outside and all magical.

6. Dana D says:

Wow…

Have you made the pro/con list?

You can write wherever you live and walking your dog loves in beautiful places would be a gift…

You have family/friends in the city so you could visit anytime you wish…

Tough one. But happy your holiday was lovely…

(and I missed you in my mornings…)

I agree with those who think keeping access to both is best, at least to start. Seeing people face to face is uber important for happiness, and so is nature, and you deserve both. Over time, perhaps you can lure your loved ones to the country too. I am not a dog person… but it seems to me, they are happy wherever they are, if they have a nice human. That good attitude is why we love them, imo.

8. caroline says:

Welcome back!! 🙂
    If you can swing it do both! You’ll love it.
    But if you decide to just go for it,the very best advice I can give is to sublet!!
    Getting back into nyc real estate once you jump ship is nearly impossible.
    I love my life but miss the city dearly..

• Viajera says:

Agreed – definitely don’t sell. I don’t understand why financial advice columnists – at least some of them – are always telling people to do this, without looking for roommates or sublettors or whatnot first. Why is it better to pay someone else rent?

• Heather says:

Another in agreement. A main way I’m able to do my bilocal thing (see above) is that I own a home that I can easily rent out at a modest profit (helps that I was fortunate enough to get a really good interest rate after a refinance, and that it’s in a popular vacation area). I just met another woman who does the same thing, also facilitated by a home/rental property. This does require being ok with having someone ‘in your house’ but to me the tradeoff has been worth it (and I live pretty minimally anyway – if subletters want to steal my 20-year-old Tv, they can have it).

9. Cora says:

I’ve moved from the big city to the country where I can walk the dogs in a forest every day 🙂 Nine months ago, I don’t miss a thing. The dogs are happier, I’m happier.

Welcome back, Kim! It’s not black and white: Country vs. City. There are degrees of in-between! Find your happy medium like I did. Easy train access to NYC, ocean outside my back door. 🙂

11. Hick from Styx says:

It’s nice to have choices, whatever you decide. NYC is where fashion happens, so it would be hard to keep up with that world if you leave it behind entirely. Time moves on, though, and we change. I’m with the others, who think living in both worlds sounds good.