Sunday 23rd July 2017

A party in a top, part 5

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 1.50.09 PM

I usually wait until the holidays to do my party in a top posts, since the kind of event they were inspired by—crowded gatherings where all anyone takes note of is what you’re wearing from the waist up—happen around that time of year. But there have been recent requests for a warmer-weather version, and it is suddenly nothing if not toasty here in New York, so let’s have at it. This pretty butterfly print would probably be too girly for me on a flowy-er shape, but I like it just fine on a button-down.

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 2.15.08 PM

My favorite color combination + a chevron print = almost too much excellent.

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 1.52.09 PM

I am similarly besotted by this lush floral: the colors are just so exactly right, somehow.

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 2.20.46 PM

This is the loud, craven party in a top that gets shut down by the police, and that everyone talks about for years.

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 1.54.31 PM

A really graphic, slightly retroish star print.

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 2.23.53 PM

This silhouette has gotten very popular over the past few seasons, which I understand: it exposes an almost universally flattering part of the body (the shoulders) while covering a sometimes problematic one (the upper arms) all in one fell swoop.

Posted on May 27th, 2016 13 Comments

1. DeDe says:

“This is the loud, craven party in a top that gets shut down by the police”

You have the best words.

Seriously though, that top refuses to use its inside voice, and I like that about it. The first one is my very, very favorite though.

2. y.k. says:

i never get invited to that kind of craven party.
    the star shirt on the other hand is exactly where i live. i must visit mango soon. like this weekend.

• DeDe says:

But maybe if you wear that top, you will! And then when y’all get busted, you’ll be the best dressed GOACA in the whole jail #lifegoals

3. Mae says:

WTF are those the jeans in the first photo.

4. Heather says:

LOVE the first top but I’m sure I’d spill coffee or red wine down the front of it within 5 minutes. And I love the off-the-shoulder look but can’t pull it off because I need a bra (and strapless don’t work for me – yanking them up constantly). Gorgeous looks though.

I love the off-shoulder top, and I really want one, but it has to be just right. I have a fear (could be totally ungrounded) that it will be pulled down and expose my less-than-perky goodies to the world! Shoulder straps are a MUST…at least in my brain.

6. darcy h says:

The off-the-shoulder top is great, but already sold out in the most popular sizes 6, 8, and 10. Kind of painful to see what we missed instead of what we might buy.