Tuesday 17th October 2017

Put some prep in your step

ines de la

I always love when women mix preppy pieces in with more fashiony items—like for instance, how fantastic does Mme Ines de la Fressange look here in her black Lacoste shirt, multiple necklaces, and armful of bangles? It’s a style I am increasingly drawn to as my menagerie of tattoos continues to grow, as it both balances things out and contrasts appealingly.  And it comes off so excellently effortless—Ines might have in reality sweated the particulars of this outfit for some time before running out the door, but the net effect is very I-just-threw-this-on.

lacoste

I think you have to be pretty damn cool to look cool in a Lacoste shirt, and I’m not at all sure I am. But I’d like to try.

crew belt

Today, I am wearing this J. Crew belt with a cream-colored slouchy Maria Cornejo top and army pants, and it provides a nice—but not overwhelming—burst of bright.

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 4.10.14 PM

Tretorns are about as classic, classic prep as it gets. I like the idea of wearing them with cuffed boyfriend jeans or a denim A-line skirt.

sunhat

bucket hat is so Lauren Hutton 70s prep, especially in the khaki.

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 4.29.31 PM

And because Memorial Day looms: as timeless a waxed canvas weekender duffle as you could hope to find—from LL Bean, natch.

Posted on May 25th, 2016 25 Comments

1. caroline says:

Perhaps I’m reverting back to high school,
    but I do love how she’s wearing that black Lacoste shirt.
    I like how it looks kind of sexy but without selling it so hard.
    Personally not a fan of looking like I’m trying to be sexy…
    Better to seem like it spontaneously happened.
    You can pull it off!

I think the Lacoste shirt in black rather than pink or light blue helps give it a tick away from being too preppy. I’d wear it. Maybe with some boyfriend jeans or my white distressed jeans and probably sandals since I’m back on the east coast doing the go-to-the-beach-every-chance-I-get thing.

Like the belt––bet it looks great with your Army pants!

3. y.k. says:

ines looks fantastic!! &i agree – the izod in black is key. i think I’ll steal my dad’s . ..

4. I have the belt too, it’s great in the unisex collegiate colors (looks like I borrowed it from my husband). So far, I’ve worn it with my “burnished mahogany” skinny fatigue pants, which kinda matched the red in the belt. It will go with all the boyfriend chinos, denim shorts and skirts in my arsenal. J.Crew really nailed it with their accessories for their June rollout!

5. Rachel says:

I prefer the Lacoste shirt she is wearing because of the deeper V & more buttons. When ever I wear the original Lacoste shirt, my head appears as if it’s squatting on my shoulders. A not attractive look.

• Jen says:

The deeper V is nice–I had a navy polo from J. Crew a few years ago that had a similar neckline and it made the difference from awkward looking and flattering.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

You know, that’s it EXACTLY!!! Thank you, Rachel. 😉

6. Lynne says:

I wore Lacoste shirts in the 80’s in college (red and pink)with the collars turned up, khaki shorts or skirt and penny loafers. CRINGE. I don’t know why I was so invested in the prep look, I went to college in Southern Calif. It was the 80’s…I like the deep V Lacoste shown above, but I think it helps that she is not very well endowed (not knocking her figure). I think if you have a bigger chest, that style doesn’t fit as well, I tried one on a while ago and I felt like I was all boobs.

7. beth says:

Ugh. When you post a post and I realize I need say 75% of the items posted.

Say, that’s a nice hat.

I will work on increasing my tolerance of polo shirts… for *women.* Kiss of death if a man wears one. It must be some buried trauma. Whereas, Old Spice might be okay with me, though it’s been years since I smelled any.

9. darcy h says:

Anyone know the fit of that bucket hat? I like it, but their website needs more infos…like hat size. Or any size.

10. Mamacita says:

Willing to bet money that IDLF had that shirt taken in at the sides. It’s not a bad idea.

11. L.o. says:

Agree that the neck on the polo helps make the look. Think this might be it or similar: http://www.zappos.com/lacoste-short-sleeve-slim-fit-stretch-pique-polo-shirt-white?zlfid=191&ref=pd_detail_1_sims_p_ab

12. Lisa Wallace says:

I’m with you. On both points.

13. Carrie says:

How does she look so good in that shirt when I just look like a fast food worker? And I have a pair of Tretorns, but they look so dorky on me. I must be doing something wrong.

• Suz says:

She is lanky as hell and tall – always helps. That and a snug fit.

I think most people look like “staff” in a polo shirt, esp women.

14. Trina says:

Am I nuts? No one has mentioned her pants. Aren’t they key to the whole outfit?

Any idea where I can get them (or something similar)?

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I remember trying to duplicate this look when IDLF’s book came out. The polo was a big fail, but I lucked into a pair of cropped, roll-up golden chinos from Land’s End Canvas. I still have them, but wear them with other tops.

15. Hick from Styx says:

This looks preppy because it looks so high school. What I mean is, if you developed curves top or bottom since you graduated, this look won’t work. This is meant for a boyish or athletic figure, and if that’s not you, give it a pass.

The other items can work, though.

• darcy h says:

Spot on. Evoking youth (flat-chested) is encouraged and fashionable, looking like a woman (Sophia Loren) is not.

• Suz says:

Truth. Just try and picture any of the models today in one of Sophia’s dresses. You could pack about 3 of them into one dress.