Wednesday 26th April 2017

Things I bought, things I want

it mascara

I am always fascinated to learn which products make it into the makeup bags of beauty editors, who see and try absolutely everything. So when I read somewhere that It Cosmetics Superhero Elastic Stretch Volumizing Mascara was gaining a big following among that cohort, I was too curious not to order some up for myself. Also, I was looking for redemption: The last time I heralded a mascara as my new favorite, the fact that it rang in at close to $50 did not meet with universal enthusiasm. This stuff goes for $24—not drugstore cheap, but not bad—and I think I like it about twice as much as that other, pricier, one. It goes on cleaner than any mascara I’ve ever tried—like, apply-three-coats-and- still-no-clumps clean—and lengthens and thickens like crazy.

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 10.17.34 AM

We all, from time to time, find ourselves on a Shopping Mission (some of us perhaps more often than others). And at the moment mine has been to find a good A-line denim skirt; one that doesn’t have a weird, super-high waist—so many do; I know not why—and is neither too short or super-long midi, which inevitably looks very Sister Wife on me. This suffers none of those plights, and would appear to be the answer.

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 10.49.37 AM

I know the print here is borderline frump, but I find myself inexorably drawn to this jacket nevertheless.

Posted on April 29th, 2016 15 Comments

1. caroline says:

As a person who is perennially on the quest for a good denim skirt, and struggling because of all the reasons you mentioned, I will be giving this baby a try.!
    I do not do shorts.. Just feel frumpy.

• DeDe says:

Ugh, shorts are the WORST. I have exactly one pair, because sometimes they are necessary, but they are pretty much the least flattering thing ever.

• suz says:

Agreed. I own zero shorts. Skirts are so much more flattering and actually easier.

2. DeDe says:

I have that jacket! Though I’m really kinda hating that print on everything else in the collection (what is with her prints this spring, anyway?), on the jacket it really works. Bonus: it’s reversible, and not just in theory – the print on the opposite side is super cute and the seams are done in such a way as to give the jacket a little extra flair. I wear it constantly and have gotten oodles of compliments on it.

• suz says:

The reverse (inside) print is even better! The seaming detail really works well.

• DeDe says:

Isn’t the seaming fab? Very 15th century chic, which, ok, maybe that’s not everyone’s thing, but I was an English major once upon a time, so it works for me. To wear or not to wear — that’s really not so much question with this jacket!

• Linda Kerr says:

I agree with suz, I prefer the “inside” print!

• Linda Kerr says:

I agree with Suz. The “inside” print is even chic-er!

3. Laura says:

Thanks for the tip on the mascara, I will definitely give this a try!

4. Anne says:

Ooooo, outfit inspiration… Have an event this weekend where I wanted to wear my ‘leather’ pants and have been noodling around in my head how to tone them down just a notch for this particular crowd. The third picture gave me an idea of what jacket to wear. Thanks!

5. I2I says:

Totally agree on the skirt:

I got the 7FAM a-line denim mini-ish last summer and loved it.

The trick with a sensible length denim skirt is avoiding the strict-religious-sect look. Had my eye on a full length denim skirt and peasant type blouse and my friend asked me when I became a Mennonite, so went with an above-the -knee version. similar issue with a khaki version – so many come to close to looking like a golf skort!

6. Colleen says:

I really hate to disagree, because I have found all your other recommendations and earners of high praise to be spot on…….but…..this is absolutely the clumpiest, gloopiest mascara I have ever tried. Maybe I purchased the errant gluey one of the bunch, but I threw it directly into the garbage on the second try. A mascara that calls itself a superhero should not require this much combing and cleanup.

• Colleen says:

And I say this with as much respect as I can muster, because your opinion has always translated into success in my fashion/beauty forays.

7. I feel so happy as last night I decided I needed a jean skirt and then was worried it was a bad fashion choice but now I am going ahead with it!

8. Maggie says:

It Cosmetics pretty much always introduces a mini-size of each new mascara it comes out with, usually about ten bucks. Find them at Ulta. I actually like these better because you can replace them more often. Her skinny-brush “eyeliner” mascara is my absolute favorite. Gets every last lash!