Archive for February, 2016
I meant to wash my hair yesterday. I did. But it was raining, and the dogs needed walking, and if those two excuses didn’t happen to be in play, I likely would have found others. Because I’ll jump on any excuse not to have to submit to the tedium of blow-drying then curling-ironing my gnarled waves into submission. And this has meant that I’ve spent a lot of time with ponytails and topknots. This magic device—a thermal brush that works with infrared heat—has changed all that: I just run it through my hair and unruly tangles turn smooth as butter.
- Stockholm’s subway stations are seriously trippy. (Laughing Squid)
- In honor of its 30th(!) anniversary, the city of Chicago will be hosting a three-day Ferris Beuller’s Day Off festival. (Mental Floss)
- Love that Justin Trudeau. (R29)
- Elevators, prisons, psychiatric institutions, and other unlikely venues that notable acts have played. (Flavorwire)
- Marge Simpson, speaking for many of us. (The Week)
I think what keeps me coming back to the king of animal prints is the fact that it is a bold choice and a perfectly classic one at the same time, and how often does that happen in fashion? That and the fact that sometimes, just when I actually think my leopard fixation has perhaps passed, the internet gods dump a whole bunch of cute pieces right in my lap—which is in fact what happened just over the weekend—and I’m in deep again. First up: I usually don’t like leopard on tricky silhouettes, but this filmy asymmetrical number totally works for me.
Such an excellent, poppy color combo here.
From APC: a couldn’t-be-more-classic trench gets funkified.
Black-on-black and nicely subtle.
We don’t necessarily think of our leopard pieces as having reach-for-every-day potential, but if I owned this excellent this fuzzy wool jacket I feel like I’d wear it to death.
A voluminous, tissue-thin scarf at a very pleasant price.
And why not a leopard print sports bra, I ask you?
- What ever happened to the girl in this famous Mary Ellen Mark photo? (NPR)
- Are we living in the golden age of TV title sequences? (A.V. Club)
- I won’t lie; this made me cry a little this morning. (Salon)
- Righteous. (Slate)
- More evidence that single women rule. (New York)
I’ll throw out just a few just to get things rolling: When my writing goes well. When I’m with my family in Sag Harbor. When I’ve done something that has helped somebody else. When I’m hiking in nature. When I’m reading a book that’s so good I don’t want it to end. And you?
Do you ever find that the crazier and not-quite-my-style an item that has piqued your interest is, the more you obsess over it? To wit: I don’t know that I’d ever actually carry this neon-strap Liberty of London tote, but it is currently causing my brain to melt.