Thursday 30th March 2017

Escape from New York

j crew v neck

I’m headed out to LA today—it was a very last-minute decision, informed by my twin desires to avoid the encroaching snowstorm and meet the newest baby in the family. And because there are gifts to bring for the newborn and his sister, room in the carry-on is tight. So I’m embracing the wear-what-you-wore-yesterday philosophy of packing, and bringing as little as I think I can get away with. Which is a challenge for LA this time of year, when the weather fluctuates a good 20 degrees or more—from chilly to outright warm—over the course of a day. What follows are the items I wouldn’t think of leaving without, starting with a good, classic cashmere V-neck sweater. Comfortable for the plane, wearable with just about everything.

jolie laide

Under that goes my Roll & Tuck Tee from Jolie Laide, because it is super-thin and slouches exactly right.

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 8.30.03 PM

And because that’s an awful lot of black: my perfect Six Trousers from Crippen—they’re skinny pants that look good on people who don’t think they look good in skinny pants—and which lighten things up ever so nominally.

buckle boot

Also excellently not black: these greenish-greyish clog boots from No. 6, which I could walk around in forever (or until I get plantar fascitis from wearing clogs too often, like my sister in law did).

de la cruz

A tiny diamond star feels about right for the Glossy Coast.

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 9.03.39 PM

As do boppy blue sunglasses.

Posted on January 22nd, 2016 27 Comments

1. laurajeanorama says:

I want all of these things, including the trip to L.A.

2. DeDe says:

Congrats on the newest addition to the family! What a great excuse to get out of that giant wall of snow heading your way.

Incidentally, I have the shearling version of those No.6 booties (which I guess means that I have some olive-colored footwear after all), and I looooooooove them, which means I am now living in mortal fear of developing plantar fascitis. Thanks for that. (Maybe a post on chic, foot-friendly footwear could happen sometime, provided such a thing even exists?)

3. Lesley says:

Okay, I am alarmed at the possible connection between clogs and plantar fascitis, since I wear the former constantly and suffered from the latter last year! (In my case, it was sorta open-and-shut with certain running practices, and I have since healed. But I have sometimes experienced an unrelated ball-of-the-foot pain in connection with clogs, and I am afraid something is up. This is all so long-winded and boring, but if you have details from a doc on what the deal is with clogs and plantar fascitis, please fill us in! I had always thought clogs were good for your feet (especially since I tend to wear the flat-incline lawn gnome variety the most).)

A well made pair of orthotic insoles (the kind where they make a mold of the bottom of your foot) helps prevent plantar fascitis. (auto correct really really wants to make that plantar fascist––a whole other cup of worms)

The question is: Can you live with insoles? (plus, the good ones are expensive)

• Lesley says:

I don’t know if you’re talking to me or Kim, but I did get orthotics. Granted, the not-expensive kind, but the kind made for plantar fascitis… and they totally help! But I wear them in flats and sneakers (fashiony sneakers, that is). They are really not compatible with clogs, especially open-back ones.

• c.w. says:

I was just replying in general. I wore orthotics with ski boots, but haven’t tried them with “regular” shoes. ugh, sorry to hear about the incompatibility with clogs!

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

And I thought clogs were good for one’s feet!

• jenny says:

As a physician, clogs are great for standing, but not for walking.
            That’s why chefs and surgeons wear them (plus, they can be easier to wash than other shoes.)

• Viajera says:

Does this only apply to wooden clogs? Bc I wear the rubber nurse kind all the time, and I haven’t had any issues with walking.

Or does it only also apply to people who already have plantar’s?

• Viajera says:

I should probably explain. I wear them as house slippers, for which they are *superb.* I don’t wear them in public. Yet.

Also, congrats on the new family member!

Love the sweater!

6. Kate says:

Its nice and sunny here in LA…nights have been chilly but last night was perfect 🙂 Enjoy your visit!

7. Mary Alice says:

Welcome to LA! It’s supposed to be a little rainy and chilly Saturday here, but sunny and high 60’s low 70’s the rest of the week. Be sure to get a taco from the Kogi truck! Have fun and congrats on the new family member.

8. jhops says:

Congrats on the newest family member. If there’s time for you to do a bit of shopping, I look forward to the post about it. I need some new local haunts!

How wonderful!!!

I think this is the nicest time of year here. Our fruit trees are already blooming. I wish they weren’t, but they are so I hope you get a whiff or two.

10. Tina L. says:

Don’t know if you ever get a chance to visit the Venice neighborhood, but lots of good shopping and restaurants there right now.

11. kristen says:

I am at my computer laughing bc this is the exact outfit I have on except my No.6’s are brown, my tshirt is drapey linen and my necklace is 4 leaf clover with turquoise little stones!

12. Grenadine says:

Okay, so I am DEVASTATED to hear that there is an association with clogs and foot disorders like plantar fascitis. I don’t have this problem, but now I worry. I became a total clog (and esp No 6 clog) devotee after I couldn’t tolerate almost any other shoe because of the crappy fit and quality of most of today’s shoes. Anyway, long story, but No 6 is almost all I wear (clog boots). This was like a bomb dropped on my world, as I thought I had found the perfect combo between style and comfort….I know lots of people who say clogs are healthy. Can we process this a bit more please? Can you tell us what else you know about this issue? How much clog-wearing actually triggers this issue???!! Also there seems to be conflicting info out there because I know a lady called the clogmaster who claims that clogs are the healthiest shoes you can wear….what’s the truth?

13. Grenadine says:

I just published a comment that did not go through – also alarmed about clogs and plantar fascitis. Can you say more? I wear no. 6 clogs constantly as most other shoes are not comfortable for me. SO BUMMED and DEVASTATED to hear that what I thought was a healthy shoe is not so much. A bomb dropped on my shoe world indeed….

14. Grenadine says:

I am DEVASTATED to hear that clogs are associated with plantar fascitis. Please say more. This is horrible news. No. 6 clogs are almost all I wear because they are so comfortable for me compared with other shoes. And I know a lady called the clogmaster who is swedish who says clogs are the ANSWER to many foot problems. She swears by clogs and custom makes them. So there is conflicting info. What’s the deal?!!

15. Beth says:

Welcome. It’s actually nice weather although we all collectively should pray for some rain as we’re in the toughest drought. Ever. Best be distracted with your stylishly cas (sp) outfit. Enjoy the wildest and your new kin. One day do post on how to add femininity into everyday wear (saw your orange scarf). I thought i was the sidecar of girly to my tomboyish look. As i tromp through my fifties I’ve begun to think I need a little help. Highland Park is happening.

16. Suz says:

Welcome! Its in the 60s now on the westside and will be a beautiful 70 ish by the wkend. And congrats on the familial offspring!

I love the whole outfit excepting the clogs (as I cannot/have not ever been able to remain upright in anything the least bit cloggy). I find when traveling that I wear the same thing over and over. No one notices. Actually what you are packing is quite similar to what I am wearing…so you will blend well.

Safe trip 🙂